Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New orchard

Posted by jtillerman Mo (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 21:50

I have just planted a new orchard with 5 to 7 feet trees from lowes how many years will it take to get fruit. Apples. Peaches. Plumbs. Bing cherries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New orchard

New member and new grower. Do I need to prune all my trees back I'm needing advise

o

Different fruit will bear at different ages. Peaches bear very young, pears take years. But you shouldn't be in a hurry to get large harvests. If trees fruit prematurely, or too much when young, it can stunt their productivity when mature.

o

Did you make sure that your apples will pollinate each other? Different varieties flower at different times. Mrs. G

o

Apples are Macintosh and honey crisp I think they will pollinate thanks if they won't please let me know

o

Honeycrisp and Mac are a solid pollination pair.
Take a look at this great series of videos about planning orchard fruit. There are like 5 parts of the series covering, early, mid season and late varieties along with rare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephen Hayes Orchard Planner

o

You will probably not see much if any fruit until year #2 or #3. By year #4 your semi-dwarf trees should begin approaching maturity and will have a good amount of fruit, and by year #7, plus or minus, the trees should be fully mature.

Pruning is all about balance and training the tree to be in the shape that you want it to be. If you have a 7-foot tree but the root system is not very great, then you should lop the top off the tree at 4 or 5 feet and remove a total of about 1/3 of the wood on the tree (but not the roots of course. If the root system seemed pretty strong, then you don't need to prune off as much, but you should consider removing any branches that are crossing, or are too vertical. You want the branches to all be 45 to 90 degrees from vertical, i.e., the closer to horizontal, the better. If the branches are all leading almost straight up, consider pruning most if not all of them off, lop the top off the tree at ~4 feet, and start all over with the branching so you can train them down towards horizontal while still young using clothespins, weights, tying down, etc. Alternatively, you can allow for a vase shaped tree by leaving 3 or 4 upright branches towards the outside of the tree, and remove all upright branches at the inside of the tree. It's your decision, and it could be based on how your tree wants to grow. If the central leader is strong, then prune to a pyramid shape. If not, then a vase shape may be the way to go.

Best of luck to you. And have fun with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here