Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2010champsbcs

Best method to control blackberry cane borer

2010champsbcs
9 years ago

Just when you think you have found the perfect backyard berry along comes the cane borer to jolt you back to reality. About 70-80% of my plants have the knots on the canes. Questions: Will I lose this year crop? What is your opinion on future control of the problem?

Comments (4)

• ericwi
    9 years ago

We have raspberries, not blackberries. When I see evidence of cane borer damage, I immediately prune off the damaged cane, and cut up the section where the insect is hiding, before placing this material on the compost pile. The raspberry plant recovers, grows a new cane, and typically begins fruiting within 6 weeks or so. For me, this insect is more of a nuisance than a serious problem. Spotted wing drosophilia is another matter, however...

• jtburton
    9 years ago

The problem on blackberries is that most of your fruit is concentrated on a few canes, generally. So if you cut the cane to remove the borer larvae, you lose out on all of that potential fruit. I had a row of boysenberries that I had to basically cut down to remove the infested canes. I'm going to use an Imidacloprid-based insecticide later in the year post-bloom. That should help resolve that problem for next year. This will be the first insecticide I have had to use so far.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Olpea said he tried to cut them out but could not control it. I have a bad infestation and have not yet worked out a good treatment. I am going to try this year being very eager about removing any bulge right when I find it. I'm trying to avoid the insecticide route. More generally I'm not sure what my future with blackberries is, the SWD will be showing up here soon.

Scott

• 2010champsbcs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Going in I thought this was going to be my berry of choice. Everything I read indicated that if you water when needed most of the other issues would take care of itself. I guess I was drinking the kool-aid. Without exception my Natchez, Apache, and Triple crown has borer infestation. As stated earlier the small number of canes per crown would mean removing 3/4 of crop. I prefer not to use insecticide but will be willing to if I can do during the non-crop time. Thanks, and and other information is welcome.