Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attracting Bee's

Posted by greenmonster182 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 21:55

I live in Dallas, TX and I was wondering what kind of flowers will attract bee's to my vegetable garden?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attracting Bee's

Just about any kind of flowers will attract bees. I have salvias, roses, citrus in bloom, lantana, nemesia, catmint, asclepias, just about anything will attract bees. Of course, if you have vegetables in bloom that need pollinating, that will attract them, too. Tomatoes and peppers and a lot of other things are pretty much self-pollinating, though.

o

The bumbles love the tomatoes around my yard.

o

They love lavender and rosemary, they may not be cold hardy enough for you though....

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:25

If you have the space, everbearing raspberries are a big draw for bees, mainly bumblebees. Our raspberry patch starts to bloom in July, and continues to flower well into October. There are always bees in there when the weather is nice. Also, it helps if no weed 'n feed is used on the lawn, in other words, no herbicide on the lawn.

o

There are actually blends of wildflowers made specifically for pollinators. Most of them contain several clovers. An excellent source for wildflowers and grasses is Stock Seed Co. out of Nebraska.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here