Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Rot Control

Posted by Ztom Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:59

I planted some trees that I've since learned are not the best trees for my conditions. Several of them, however, are growing really well and look to have lots of flower buds this year. For instance, I planted a Bing Cherry but will have a real battle with brown rot. Do you think the following idea has a chance, or would trying to keep the fruit as dry as possible not make any difference? Here is my idea: Hook up a weather proof fan to a small solar panel. Set up the fan to blow on the tree and remove fruit that is not in the air path. Thin the fruit in the air path. Turn the fan on a just let it go all summer. I'm not looking to get tons of fruit from these trees but would love to get a little bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Rot Control

I was thinking about using one of those cheap 10 x 20 car covers you get from Costco (once the canopy is ruined you can pick them up cheap). Cover roof with clear plastic and put up over my peach & apricot trees, in the summer, to keep too much moisture from getting on the leaves and fruit.
They use a system similar to this for cherries that are grown here commercially and it works great.
Flora2b

o

Covering is probably the easiest option. It takes a few years for brown rot to show up so providing you avoid cracking and bacterial canker you may get some fruit without much work.

Scott

o

So it's not possible to have brown rot on 1st year trees?

o

Brown rot tends to take a few years to build up enough spores to be dangerous. If your nextdoor neighbor has a 50-year old plum you will probably get nailed in year 1, but if there are no stone fruits nearby it will take up to five years. It took five years for it to build up for me, then I got nailed hard.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here