Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollinating the Santa Rosa plum tree

Posted by patticaken TN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 22:11

I have 2 (I think)Santa Rosa Plum trees that are over 7 years old. They're about 15 feet tall. They are covered in blossoms every year but I've only had about 3 small plums which disappear before they're very big. I have been told to get a Methley Plum to help with the pollinating. Is there any other plum that would help to pollinate these. Or do you know if there is maybe some other problem? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollinating the Santa Rosa plum tree

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 23:05

Santa Rosa should be self pollinating, and that should get you more than 3 a year.
When I had Santa Rosa and only that tree for a plum I would set quite a few but they would quickly fall off because of Plum Curculio. They would fall off so small that I didn't even have time to bag them.
Are you spraying?

Find one of the small ones and check it over closely for a tiny crescent shaped hole.

If they don't have any holes then I would think about another for pollination.
Or if you bought this tree at a box store it's possible it's not a Santa Rosa at all.

o

• Posted by jim123 z9 or z10 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 17:38

Methley is probably better suited for your area anyway. Santa Rosa in the west doesn't need a pollinator. My Santa Rosa has always been a very heavy bearer, even when I did not have any other plum trees nearby.

o

I am one who doubts that pollination is your non fruit problem. Talk to your local county extension office and see what pests or diseases could be responsible. I don't think your trees would be the only ones to suffer. Al

o

My Santa Rosa produced every year until my native plum died and it has not produced much of nothing since. "Just Fruits and Exotics" the nursery that I have faith in says Santa Rosa needs a pollinator and recommended Methley.
I have planted a Methley this year betting my Santa Rosa will start producing again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here