Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil in potted avocado all white and 'rotted', mold?

Posted by AvocadosNumber none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 22:14

I have a potted avocado tree, about 7 years old. Here in San Diego, it usually dies off a bit during the winter, drops some leaves, and then comes back in the spring.

I noticed that this year it was still looking pretty bad. I dug around in the soil and was shocked to see all kinds of white material in there. It had been normal potting mixture before, now it looks like a mixture of chalk and thinly shredded cardboard. Looks really bad, no wonder the avocado isn't doing too well.

Obviously I need to repot it in better soil, but does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Last place we live there was a lot of verticillium or some kind of wilt in the soil, got all the in-ground tomatoes eventually. But it didn't do that to the soil!

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/opRpi

Thanks for any insights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil in potted avocado all white and 'rotted', mold?

Is either your irrigation incredibly hard, or do you fertilize it without allowing a good soil flush now and then? Possible build up of salts, though I've never seen it so bad before if the case.

o

I did fertilize it a couple times several years ago, using a small bag of citrus and avocado fertilized. I suppose it could be buildup from that. I generally water it about once every three weeks, thoroughly soaking the soil until it runs freely out the bottom. But what I notice now is that this hard soil isn't absorbing anything so it's probably not penetrating and retaining much. I don't think our San Diego municipal water is particularly hard. Thanks for the response.

o

Your original description sounded to me more like mycorrhizal or other type of fungus rather than salt that would normally appear as a veneer on the pot interior.

o

Thanks Larry, I'll read up on fungus and try to take steps to kill it when I re-pot.

o

Looks like all the soil particles are coated with a fungus but not necessarily rotten.

The fungal coating is preventing water absorption by the mix. Thus, the roots are also dry.

Doubt that you'll be able to "kill" the fungus. Suggest you pot into fresh potting mix, then add a wetting agent to your water before you water the tree.

o

Thanks Jean, I'll add a wetting agent.

I'm hopeful it'll bounce back... it's seen worse. It was attacked by a cat and left next to an open window in sub-zero temps when it was just a few feet high. Died back completely, but then sent out a new stalk from the pit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here