Cherry
Nectarine
Pear
Mandarin

I'm in zone 9.

Comments (17)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Are you talking about spraying, thinning, planting, or ?????

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

When do you them? Them you do when? Do you when them? Them do you when? You do them when? Do when you them? When?

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Ok. I admit it. I just laughed out loud uncontrollably.

Does that make me a bad person?

Today I almost posted "I keep the trees short to make it easier to lick and care for them." Then I proof read it and saw my error and posted. "I keep the trees short to make it easier to pick and care for them."

remember to proof read before posting.

• thorspippi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

buy! :)
    lol!

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Now I'm singing,"Everybody plays the fool". Brady

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Okay, this was a very cute message thread! Thorspippi, you have a good sense of humor, lol! Okay, to answer your question - normally for us here in California, we buy our stone fruits and pomes (apples/pears) during bare root season, which for us here runs January through maybe early March. Citrus can be bought year 'round, and really planted any time, but right now is a great time. You might be able to find some bare root stone fruit and pomes potted up at your local nursery center, as by now, they would be breaking bud and leafing out, plus setting fruit, so they'd have to be potted up by now. They'll be more expensive in pots than if you had bought them a couple of months ago, while they were still bare root.

Patty S.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

While it's ideal to plant bare root dormant season our weather is mild enough you can plant most of the year in CA. Go to Lowes and you can find many low price fruit trees in sleeves to plant now.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

I do it all the time my friend, no worries! Half my posts looks like im illiterate! I just type so quick and don't worry about checkin over it twice...

You buy bare root tree when it is colder in your area, generally.. Bare root plants are cheaper, and you have much more of a selection.. Make sure you know what rootstock they are grafted on, or your taking a shot I'm the dark.. Raintree, gurneys, grandpas fruit, and other are good sellers that label rootstock, I'm sure others will che in and give your more places...

Happy growing,
    Joe

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

I have not even received most of my bare root stuff yet, so maybe the nurseries in your area are done, here, in the mid-west they are just starting. Like Grandpa's, and heck even Raintree has ton's and ton's of bare root trees for sale right now. I guess most do not ship to CA, forgot about that, I think Raintree will though!

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Interesting, Raintree said their last shipment Ohio is May 12.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

"Interesting, Raintree said their last shipment Ohio is May 12."

Seems early, I ordered 17 trees June 1st last year. Kinda late, but they all made it. I'm little more north too. My shipment from Raintree is going out April 29th. That is the earliest they'll send me stuff. I ordered in February.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Earliest? She said they start sending stuff around march... Thought im wayyy to late, Your giving me some hope! Interesting..

• thorspippi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(I have stroke. :) )

• thorspippi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>ur stone fruits and pomes (apples/pears) during bare >root season, which for us here runs January through >maybe early March.

ok

> Citrus can be bought year 'round, and really planted >any time, but right now is a great time.

YEAH!

>You might be able to find some bare root stone fruit and >pomes potted up at your local nursery center, as by >now, they would be breaking bud and leafing out, plus >setting fruit, so they'd have to be potted up by now.

ok

>They'll be more expensive in pots than if you had >bought them a couple of months ago, while they were >still bare root.

I prefer them cheap!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Very good, thorspippi. Let us know what you end up with!

Patty S.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

"Earliest? She said they start sending stuff around march... Thought im wayyy to late, Your giving me some hope! Interesting.."

I just added to my order last week, from invoice...

Dear Andrew
    Thank you very much for your recent order.
    Order # 5829
    Order Total $ 34.25 *add on total
    Estimated Shipping Date: the climate controlled truck that leaves our nursery on 04/28/13

(Due to the number of orders we receive, and the unpredictability of weather, we are unable to guarantee an exact ship date.)

Adams and Grandpa's are still taking orders for bare root trees too. Adams will not ship to CA. I don't know about Grandpa's which btw is a top five nursery! I just got my order today from them. I got the peach tree in the ground just before the thunder storm. I also ordered a cherry tree I'm going to plant that at my cottage Saturday. I re-wet the roots, and stuck it in the garage.it is prime time right now for me in MI to plant bare root. I am going to make one more order May 15th from Raintree. i also plan to order some blackberries this week. Almost every Eastern nursery is accepting orders. I'm still waiting on strawberries from 2 nurseries who have yet to ship to me. Also some raspberry plants have not been sent yet. I just built new raised beds for the brambles, and strawberries. I wish they would send them, it is finally good enough weather to plant.

Oh yeah being sent May 1st are 2 grafted tomato plants. I wanted to try these new grafted plants. I ordered from Totally Tomatoes, I think though it i too late to order from them now.

Products Ordered
    39537L Indigo Rose Grafted Tomato 1 @ $7.98
    39560L Sunsugar Hybrid Grafted Tomato 1 @ $7.97

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:17

• thorspippi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>Let us know what you end up with!

ok!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews