Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my Pluots?

Posted by econ0003 10a CA / 8b CA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 22:35

My Pluot trees have been pest free for the first couple of years with the exception of aphids occasionally.

This year something is eating holes in my Splash Pluots. Any ideas of what it might be? If you click on the first photo and zoom in it shows a worm poking its head out of the hole. I am not sure what it is.

Thanks,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my Pluots?

Boy, that sure looks like snail damage to me, Tom. Especially the top photo. Can you see any slime trails on the trunk or leaves? It also could be earwigs. They can do some significant damage to early stone fruit, too. Sluggo Plus will take care of both snails and earwigs, and it's safe to use (organic). It is a combination of iron phosphate and Spinosad. I've included a good site I often use to try to identify pests for my fruit and ornamentals. The link is specifically for plums/prunes, but there are links to all the stone/pome fruits, citrus, berries, grapes, nuts, etc.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Pests in the Garden - Plums & Prunes

o

You are probably right Patty. I get the same type of damage on my peaches from snails. There wasn't any obvious slime or snails in my Pluot tree. I guess I'll have to take a closer look.

o

I know. I have a terrible issue in my yard with snails and slugs. I've got to get down to my walk & pick orchard and put down Sluggo at the base of all my trees. It's even worse with my citrus. I might try putting a copper wrap around the trunks or maybe some Tanglefoot. Not sure how effective Tanglefoot is with snails but worth a try.

Patty S.

o

Did you ever find out was eating your fruit. We just found a worm 1/2 in and out of the fruit. It is not snails or slug...it is some type of very thin small worm. Any ideas out there?

o

The worm can be the culprit or it can simply be a maggot that was deposited as an egg in the fruit that was already "opened up" by another critter like a snail.

o

I am pretty sure it was snail damage. It looks the same as snail damage I have had on other fruit trees. The worm in the picture was a single isolated case so I think it came afterwards.

o

I am so happy to hear this, I have the same damage. I started worrying. On peaches the damage looks looks like the snail mowed down the fuzz, in a section. I was about to post the same pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here