Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Kiwi Flowering issues

Posted by spladle160 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 22:52

I am very excited because it looks like some of my kiwis are going to flower for the first time. I have two or three different females that have a proliferation of tiny little buds. I am however very disappointed that neither of my males seem to have any buds. Do the males usually run a little behind? unfortunately I can't find my chart for which Kiwis are which species but I know one of the flowering females is Issai which has some self fertility. Anyways if the females bloom and there are still no signs of blooms on the males is there anyone near Manassas VA with blooming males that could sacrifice a few flowers? or anyone who would be willing to UPS a ziplock bag of male flowers? Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Kiwi Flowering issues

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:56

I had the same thing happen: The first year my females flowered, the male didn't and I didn't get any fruit. The following year everything flowered and I got fruit.

To answer your "do males run behind" question, I'm not sure. I can check the status of mine and get back to you.

If you don't get any flowering males I might be able to help as I'm just down the road in Linden. But the differences in climate might not work - - I'm up at about 1600 feet and I've noticed things like dogwood and redbud flower about two weeks later at my place in Linden than they do in a place like Alexandria. Hell, there's difference from the bottom of the hill to the top with flowering too!

Send me an email and we can figure something out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here