Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple tree pruning to promote spurs

Posted by urbanfarmer7b 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 22:54

How do I prune the shoots on my apple tree to create future spurs? (pictures below) On some trees like the one below there's a lot of shoots on branches and I don't have a sense cutting them back (others like the Arkansas black I have is forming more spurs). I've read that if I cut them back to one or two shoots it will push it to form spurs, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been doing summer pruning to keep it in check, but I wonder if the tree just has more vigor than I planned; and did I misread the information on pruning? Any help is appreciated (including recommended books, or general comments).

As background I am attempting to grow an apple tree fence. Becuase my space is limited, I'm keeping it 2 demensional, I use posts and spreaders to keep the tree in form. As much as I've read, I'm still a novice and this is a bit of an experiment. The fence row is a variety of trees, this picture is 'enterprise' spur forming on M111 planted in 2006 as a 1 year whip. Ideally I like it to get around 12 to 15 ft.

Thanks, Robert

Tree followed by a branch (see the 6" shoots, no spurs).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple tree pruning to promote spurs

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 0:00

Timing, timing, timing.

I assume the Arkansas Black is a spur type. You don't have to do anything to those kind.

I'm not sure if it's a set time based on your weather or a set time based on when the fruit is ripe because so far I only have one tree that wanted to go all tree and no fruit, but on that tree, pruning for spurs happens mid to late August, about the same time as the fruit is ripe.

I've heard from an extension's Youtube video to prune in early summer or spring to cause spurs, that the sunlight has something to do with it. That has not been my experience. That leads me to believe it has something to do with the individual tree and when they fruit.

IMO, M111 as an espalier will desire to grow bigger than what you want and it will take a long time to convince it that it had better fruit because something is keeping it from growing big enough.
My Arkansas Black is semi-dwarf and never flowered until I let it go. It took about 5 years to fruit.
My dwarf espaliers fruited the second year.

I would try pinching the shoots back late summer.

o

Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 6:39

BTW, this exact topic is why I found my way to Gardenweb.

I think it was Jellyman's recommendation for late summer pruning and it took three years but the tree I was having problems with was loaded this year.

o

Thanks.

Should I wait to cut back the growth until August, and then cut it back to 2-3 buds?

I understand what you are saying about individual trees and the M111. I'm patient on the fruiting, plus the squirrels get them anyway.

Robert

o

Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 16:11

Or pinch the tips. I like a bushier espalier and more fruiting points so I pinch the tips.
My tree picked up this problem later in life so it can handle the weight and I hope overloading it with fruit will help burn up some of its energy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here