Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whiteflies on Blueberries!

Posted by hoosierquilt z10a/23 Vista Calif (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 22:58

Oh boy. Went down to water my Unkown and Emerald blueberries, and had a cloud of whiteflies lift off my blueberries! So, with fruit getting ready to ripen, what would you all suggest to use? I'm considering either Neem oil or insecticidal soap. First time I've had to deal with whiteflies. They're very difficult to control, and on my lovely blueberries to boot!

Patty S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whiteflies on Blueberries!

Patty,
I found some information about Whiteflies.It does mention Neem Oil and insecticidal soap among other things.It may help. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiteflies

o

Thanks, Brady. I have this bookmarked since I use UCIPM's site all the time. Great site for me, since I live in Calif, but good really for anyone trying to safely manage pests on fruit and berries.

Patty S.

o

Whatever you use, keep at it. Whiteflies recurr.

o

Whitefiles recently killed one of my tropical guava trees.

I had them under control a few years ago. Spraying the undersides of the leaves with a jet spray from a garden hose and then applying neem oil to the undersides of the leaves.

I got a little lazy and decided not to treat the tree at all last year. Thinking the the leaves were going to fall off in the winter anyways. That was a big mistake. The tree became diseased and unfortunately died.

o

Patty,

The entomologist guru at Texas A&M told me to use Imidicloprid, but the first thing he said to use, "that I would surely not find in Guatemala" was Centaur (Buprofezin).... after those two, Movento (Spirotetramat).
Organically, the natural pest control is a type of wasp that they have released in California in the melon growing areas... I'm sure you are better able than I to find out about that.
BTW, I learned a lot about Meyer lemons and harvest techniques in Santa Paula, CA... no thanks at all to the big boys, being Sunkist and Limoneira.
Hope the Easter Bunny was good to you

John

o

Thanks, John. I will check all out. And, I'd love to hear about your harvesting tips from Santa Paula. Are they growing Meyers up there? How interesting! Let us know about that over on the Citrus forum, I would be very interested in hearing about that.

Patty S.

o

Patty,

When I get all my trip info and fotos organized I will post some on the citrus forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here