Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow leaves falling off orange tree

Posted by coday00 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 22:59

I am having a heck of a time with an orange tree. The leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I think I have narrowed it down to either an iron deficiency or the roots are way too wet, but I am certainly no expert. I have pictures posted at:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow leaves falling off orange tree

My potted Meyer Lemon stays nice and green all winter on the windowsill. Then all the leaves fall off [now] in the spring as the sun intensifies. In a month more branches will sprout and the whole plant will be green till next spring. Thats not all, the fruit take a looong time on the tree to mature.

o

Living most of my life in so. Caif. on a avacado and citrus ranch, I can tell buy the look that your soil may need a little help. Looks like clay I think. Your tree needs fertlizer. All the leaves look a little yellow they should be a nice med. green with some shine. Try some of those fertilizer stakes FOR CITRUS but don't over do. You can also try digging a larger watering basin area around the tree(out past the TREE drip line)with side banks around 2-3" high. Fill up the basin (hose) around the tree and see how long it takes the water to soak in. Could be not draining well. If it is draning well great, then the basin will fill up with the extra water from the drip system providing more water to the tree and you will need to water less. If it is draining badly then you will need to admin the soil. Hope some of this helps. Good luck

o

Hi,

I grow Lemon Meyers, Kumquats, and Mexican Limes. Citrus trees are heavy feeders, they need a lot of nitrogen and potassium and micro nutrients such as magnesium. For my Lemon Meyers the best ratio is 5-1-3.

Also make sure the root ball isn't compact and the soil drains well around it. You can actually starve a tree if the root ball is still compact from being in a container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here