Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good disease resistant apples in Mid Atlantic

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 23:14

I've not really delved much into fruits since moving to MD a few years back. I'm right at the edge of zone 6/7, but my property is in something of a warmish microclimate so I call it 7.

From what i see around here, apple scab is a HUGE problem - can anyone concur? Not sure how big of an issue fireblight is, but I see Callery pears succumb to it all the time. Not sure about cedar apple rust, either.

Who can give some input? Good varieties, what diseases to watch out for the most, etc.

One I've seen is "Goldrush" but have been told it matures VERY late - will it ripen here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good disease resistant apples in Mid Atlantic

I've had 5 types of apples and regardless of how resistant they say they are of cedar apple rust only the northern spy was totally free. Even the Liberty was covered. On the otherhand, only the Red Delicious got fireblight.

o

Hair metal, scab is no problem for me. I don't spray for it and I only get a little bit here and there. I have heard that scab is more a northern problem on apples; it can also be bad in the south but is not as likely to be. Fireblight on the other hand is a huge problem, as is CAR. Goldrush is a great apple for the mid-atlantic and it ripens here very well every year. It gets CAR badly however. In general I don't think the disease resistance breeding has been super helpful for us backyard mid-atlantic growers since scab is not a big problem and that is the main goal of the disease-resistance programs. On the other hand many apple varieties just can't "take the heat" or humidity. For example Akane is a wonderful tasting apple but the skin is just too easily penetrated by bugs and diseases and I get very few good fruits. My most bulletproof apple is an obscure old heirloom called Rambour d'Hiver, I harvest pretty much perfect apples from that tree every November.

Scott

o

Interesting that scab isn't a problem for you, Scott...since it seems to be a big problem on the flowering crabs around here...most are leafless by August because of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here