Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyonsy_gw

Pollinator for Hood pear other than Flordahome

lyonsy
12 years ago

I have a thriving Hood pear and planted Flordahome twice as a pollinator but lost both to fire blight within months of planting. Is there any other possible pollinator. I would grow something that is even high chill hours for Southern CA as a pollinator and not worry of it sets fruit or not.

Many thanks

John Zone 10

Comments (6)

• copingwithclay
    12 years ago

A ten year old Hood here has always dropped all it's flowers before any neighborhood pears began flowering, but still produced fruit. Regretfully, the fruit production each year varies a lot. It now has pollen help from 2 nearby grafted branches of the Acres Home pear. The Acres Home is the only low chill, fire blight resistant, good eating pear that I have collected that flowers as early as the Hood. If you are a grafter, I could mail some budwood to you next Winter. It will try to leaf out in the refridgerator if stored there too long. Also, it sets fruit at an early age.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

What about the "Meadows" selection that is also popular in Houston, and the "Tennhousi" (sp?)?

I've not been able to lay my hands on the former but the latter is now commercially available.

• copingwithclay
    12 years ago

The Meadows, Tennosui, Southern Queen, and Southern King (seedling sister of the Tennosui) pear trees here all began flowering after the Hoods were completely flower free.I could mail some Meadows budwood to you in Winter if you wanted.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

I'd very much appreciate budwood then. I could use "Southern King" as well. I also have "LA Beauty/Leona" and "Southern Bartlett" if you can use them. They may fruit this year, where I can be a bit more certain of the correct ID.

• lyonsy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the offer copingwithclay. I will take you up on that later this year. The Hood will really grow well this season and I will graft the Acres Home.

Many thanks

John

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

I wonder why the University of Florida would ever have released a FB sensitive pear in the first place?