Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootstock m7 question

Posted by rehabbingisgreen zone 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 23:24

I am looking for a specific tree. A Whitney Crabapple sd. I have been having a tough time finding many to choose from. One has a rootstock of M7 and I don't know how hardy that is in very cold temps for extended periods of time. Does anyone have this rootstock in a cold and windy area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock m7 question

I have more than a dozen trees on M7 on a clay hilltop that is plenty cold and windy. Hit -27F here in January. They seem to be just fine. In a windy site I would stake for at least a couple of years.

o

I concur completely with marc although you may need to stake it for more than a couple years. My M7's tend to tip by about the 5th or 6th year and aren't a problem before they come into bearing. It may not be a problem with a crab at all. I wouldn't stake it for the first couple of years unless it is obviously needed, but would do so if it seems wobbly after that until it firms up as it likely will- eventually.

Stakes actually stop a tree from developing a good taper according to "the book" although apple growers use them all the time right from first planting and the trees turn out fine from what I've seen (and I've pruned thousands of such trees at various ages up to 40 years, at least)

Commercial growers drive the stake in the ground right against the tree at planting, so it becomes a pain to remove it years later- hate that. If you accidentally hit it with your saw it instantly dulls the blade and the tree will grow right into it, imbedding it into their tissue.

If you wait, you can actually drive a stake to tape to a single scaffold a couple of feet from the tree. It creates less rigid but adequate support in my experience.

Trees of Antiquity may have that variety on 111 although they may be sold out by now. M7 should work fine.

o

Thanks so much for the answers! I will go ahead with the M7 rootstock. I have been waiting to get a large tree removed and am so anxious to get this crabapple to try. Finally got the tree out yesterday so it's a go now :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here