Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Video of HOS trying to save Nick Botner's apples

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I ran across this video while searching for scion. I thought it might interest you here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Detectives Try To Save Thousands Of Varieties

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 0:45

Comments (20)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I liked that,thanks. Brady

• MrClint
    10 years ago

The better homes and gardens crowd better steer clear of this video. There are spots on apples and less than perfect foliage. The chap has not been spraying, thinning, branch spreading, etc. I really enjoyed the video.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Milehigh, this is a wonderful, fantastic video. It really takes us on a 'apple' wonderland walk. Oh I wish I could go and see the orchard. I now have to find the 'wintersteen' apple. Many, many thanks! Mrs. G

• bberry_gw
    10 years ago

Glad to see him up and around. Not sure why the state of federals have not grabbed it. Price is quite reasonable. What a place for kids to grow up.

• marknmt
    10 years ago

Loved it and shared it. Thanks.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

That's wonderful..thanks for posting!

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I have to share more. I also found this page with pics. The photographer, Nick G. Botner, says, "This is my Great Uncle, Nick BotnerâÂÂs Farm out in Yoncalla, Oregon."

What a beautiful place. The NPGS should grab this place for sure. There is such a shortage of scion this year, I've noticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick Botner of Oregon

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I think I know the secret to long life! Guy looks great for 86. Love to go walk around there in Sept/Oct... Beautiful.

• Voyage034
    10 years ago

Thank you for the post. It made my day! :)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

He must have smuggled in a ton of scion wood?

I'd be interested in some hardy ones,..especially that red flesh he cut up from Russia!

Anybody here, or link to the society who preserves these?

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Nick doesn't smuggle I don't think, but anyone who did probably traded with him. He was the trader king, once you get to a certain point every collector wants at least one thing you have and will trade their unusual goodies for it.

Scott

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

OK..then tell me, how do you trade scion wood legally from
    all over the world?

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Nick's list..

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick Botner's Apples

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Just quickly looked one up on the list, I grow it.. a fairly new Canadian apple for the prairie, [Norkent]. Very missleading information, perhaps not suited for hes climate, this is a apple which can match any in the store!

And it's Canadian, not tart and astringent!

From hes list...
    Norkent �" (St. Lawrence Nursery) Haralson X Rescue, Extremely hardy, Greenish-yellow under orange, red, russeting, ripens midseason, Fruit about 2 inches, firm, tart to astringent; fair for eating and cooking. Tree is small and upright. Bears at a young age.

This post was edited by konrad___far_north on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 17:54

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

milehighgirl,
    He has another Canadian Apple you wanted..Collet!

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Here is a link to the Home Orchard Society website.I've been to their "All About Fruit" show in Canby,Oregon in the Fall.A lot of Apples to try there.
    I believe they are the ones involved in preserving the trees. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Orchard Society

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Konrad,

Yes, he had Colett and quite a few others I'd like to try now.

• murkwell
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the link, it was fun to watch again. Nick Botner was at the Fruit Propagation Fair this year and I guess old habits die hard, because darned if he didn't take home some scions!

The organization that is trying to reproduce all of Nick's apple trees is called the Temperate Orchard Conservancy. It is distinct from the Home Orchard Society but founded by members. The two prominent "detectives" are very active in both.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

One thing I can't see is keeping track of 1000's of varieties of anything...i'd be lost... that in itself has to be a major undertaking. My wife is OCD, so she could handle it, but i'm whatever the opposite of OCD is... :)

• charina
    10 years ago

I've been all over camp Adair, from corner to corner, and have never seen the old orchard the showed at the beginning. There is a lot of volunteer trees all over the camp though. Probably discarded cores from the airmen that visited that orchard decades ago. Some are pretty good eating.