Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Video of HOS trying to save Nick Botner's apples

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 23:27

I ran across this video while searching for scion. I thought it might interest you here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Detectives Try To Save Thousands Of Varieties

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 0:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Video of HOS trying to save Nick Botner's apples

I liked that,thanks. Brady

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 8:40

The better homes and gardens crowd better steer clear of this video. There are spots on apples and less than perfect foliage. The chap has not been spraying, thinning, branch spreading, etc. I really enjoyed the video.

o

Milehigh, this is a wonderful, fantastic video. It really takes us on a 'apple' wonderland walk. Oh I wish I could go and see the orchard. I now have to find the 'wintersteen' apple. Many, many thanks! Mrs. G

o

Glad to see him up and around. Not sure why the state of federals have not grabbed it. Price is quite reasonable. What a place for kids to grow up.

o

Loved it and shared it. Thanks.

o

That's wonderful..thanks for posting!

o

Okay, I have to share more. I also found this page with pics. The photographer, Nick G. Botner, says, "This is my Great Uncle, Nick Botner’s Farm out in Yoncalla, Oregon."

What a beautiful place. The NPGS should grab this place for sure. There is such a shortage of scion this year, I've noticed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick Botner of Oregon

o

I think I know the secret to long life! Guy looks great for 86. Love to go walk around there in Sept/Oct... Beautiful.

o

Thank you for the post. It made my day! :)

o

He must have smuggled in a ton of scion wood?

I'd be interested in some hardy ones,..especially that red flesh he cut up from Russia!

Anybody here, or link to the society who preserves these?

o

Nick doesn't smuggle I don't think, but anyone who did probably traded with him. He was the trader king, once you get to a certain point every collector wants at least one thing you have and will trade their unusual goodies for it.

Scott

o

OK..then tell me, how do you trade scion wood legally from
all over the world?

o

Nick's list..

Here is a link that might be useful: Nick Botner's Apples

o

Just quickly looked one up on the list, I grow it.. a fairly new Canadian apple for the prairie, [Norkent]. Very missleading information, perhaps not suited for hes climate, this is a apple which can match any in the store!

And it's Canadian, not tart and astringent!

From hes list...
Norkent �" (St. Lawrence Nursery) Haralson X Rescue, Extremely hardy, Greenish-yellow under orange, red, russeting, ripens midseason, Fruit about 2 inches, firm, tart to astringent; fair for eating and cooking. Tree is small and upright. Bears at a young age.

This post was edited by konrad___far_north on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 17:54

o

milehighgirl,
He has another Canadian Apple you wanted..Collet!

o

Here is a link to the Home Orchard Society website.I've been to their "All About Fruit" show in Canby,Oregon in the Fall.A lot of Apples to try there.
I believe they are the ones involved in preserving the trees. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Orchard Society

o

Konrad,

Yes, he had Colett and quite a few others I'd like to try now.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 3:00

Thanks for sharing the link, it was fun to watch again. Nick Botner was at the Fruit Propagation Fair this year and I guess old habits die hard, because darned if he didn't take home some scions!

The organization that is trying to reproduce all of Nick's apple trees is called the Temperate Orchard Conservancy. It is distinct from the Home Orchard Society but founded by members. The two prominent "detectives" are very active in both.

o

One thing I can't see is keeping track of 1000's of varieties of anything...i'd be lost... that in itself has to be a major undertaking. My wife is OCD, so she could handle it, but i'm whatever the opposite of OCD is... :)

o

I've been all over camp Adair, from corner to corner, and have never seen the old orchard the showed at the beginning. There is a lot of volunteer trees all over the camp though. Probably discarded cores from the airmen that visited that orchard decades ago. Some are pretty good eating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here