Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting apple trees?

Posted by Indiana.Matt 6a Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 23:34

I would like to try my hand at grafting some apple trees. I work at an apple orchard and I dug up some suckers. I'm assuming that they will work as root stock. What do you all think? Would it be a good idea to let my little rootstocks get established before I graft into them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting apple trees?

Now's the perfect time to graft them. You can leave the ones in the largest pots for a year, the rest will outgrow the pot this season.

o

Let them sit for about 2 weeks until you see sprouting out, ...then graft.

o

I've had poorer percentage takes on recently transplanted stock, but you might as well try this year, and if they don't take you can try again next year. Another way to do things might be to graft onto the sprouts first, then transplant this fall. As far as timing, I'd expect right now would be the best time to graft in 6a Indiana. Konrad, why would you wait?

o

Where do you live Matt? Was just wondering if you wre close enough to use some scion I have left in the fridge.
Ft Wayne here.

o

Yes, I would agree that right now is the time to graft.
Two of the sprouts in the smaller pots still have their terminal buds and are in green tip right now. They have already started to show green even though it has only been a few days since I transplanted them.

daemon2525: I live in Trafalgar. I have access to many apple varieties at the orchard where I work, although I am interested in Elstar. Do you happen to have that one? or do you know where I could get it? I have a friend who is wanting to plant Elstar and she can't find them. I thought I might graft a few for her. What scion do you have?

The past few days have really made all the buds pop! We even have a few in tight cluster!

I'm taking photos each day of the progression of apple buds. Here's what I have so far, I think all these buds are from Turley Winesap:

o

>> Konrad, why would you wait?<<

To my understanding, just transplanted,... transplant shock, there will be a delay in growth, graft when you see leafing out,..more vigor and a faster take on scion.

o

What CS said is a good point- best to establish grafts on trees not suffering transplant shock as the new shoot's growth will suffer as much as rest of tree. But I don't know anything about starting trees from acquired root stock, although the commercial growers don't move the trees before grafting them after root stocks have grown a year in the fields, or at least most of the season if they do budding.

o

Ah, I see.... Sorry I don't have anything special. I was just hoping to find someone REAL close to me to share my hobby with.

I know where you're at though!!!! I drove down there just to see that Orchard. It was fall and cold and I still made my wife walk about 2 miles around that BIG orchard. It's a little out of the way though. I had to stop at the Gas station to get directions and they said they get so many people ask for directions that they already had directions drawn on paper and copies to hand out... LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here