Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximusdecimus

Blackberries dying before ripening. zone 8

maximusdecimus
10 years ago

Last summer I transplanted some wild brambling blacks to a small patch and set them up like THIS. Very vigorous growth. Healthy, happy plants.

Early spring (what I thought was way too early, but 'mother nature knows best') there was masses of very vigorous budding/flowering, but EVERY DAMN BERRY has seemed to die right after they begin turning red. Flower, plump up, green, turn red, DEATH.

Some of the other wild berries in the yard and ditches around the property (some that I just tied to a stake last year to observe them as somewhat of a control) have already matured one or two berries.

The ones I moved haven't managed to mature one berry yet out of 4 plants. They seem healthy, the floracanes seem fine. Still even now, putting up new flowers. Vigorous prima growth at base. I've already had to prune out primas twice.
Water, mulched, plenty of sun, moist, well drained soil. no fruits. I was so excited. As of now, there's 1 berry on 1 plant that looks like it may actually make it. What are some reasons blackberries would dry up and die on the vine? Being that it hasn't been crazy hot, all I can think is I should have thinned out some of the berries. Comments?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner