Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum trees with thorns

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 23:50

I couldn't help myself at Costco the other day; I brought home a Black Ice plum tree. I actually never knew plum trees had thorns.

Can I remove the thorns or will this leave openings for disease? Are the plums hard to harvest with these thorns?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum trees with thorns

Interesting. I just got a Black Ice plum tree from Fedco nursery a couple days ago and planted it this evening. Not a thorn on it.

I have quite a grove of plums that have thorns, and my blue plums do too. I just figured that most plums have thorns and the newer varieties don't.

I think you can remove the thorns without worry as you generally have a fairly dry climate so disease transmission will be less likely. However, as the tree grows, it will produce new thorns so it will be an ongoing battle.

o

I just had a podiatrist pull a huge thorn out of my foot that I'm guessing was from a plum tree. Strangely I didn't even feel it going in- it probably fell into my boot and gradually worked in- didn't start to hurt for weeks. The Methely plum can produce some nasty thorns.

o

Milehigh:

I too have seen some thorns on plum trees but not to any
great extent. When I lived in Minnesota, the nursery I worked at would bud jap x american hybrid plums to
Prunus americana rootstock. American plum can be extremely thorny. I just hope you have a true black ice
plum and not just rootstock.

I know many of the jap x american hybrids like Underwood, Superior, LaCrescent ect can be budded to
american plum. If I recall correctly, Black Ice was very slow in coming out on the market due to propagation issues. I am not sure what rootstock is being used for
it.

Keep us posted when it starts fruiting! What are you using for a pollinator for Black Ice?

I contacted Dr. Brian Smith about Black Ice last fall. He sent me some nice pictures and info on his introduction.
Supposed to be propagated by budding onto P. americana or mahaleb rootstocks.

Cross pollination needed from Toka,Sapalta or american
plum (best). Alderman, Superior and LaCrescent may also work most years as pollinators. The big issue is that
Black Ice blooms late so some plum varieties may not be
in bloom late enough some years to do the job well.

o

Yes!

They don't make thorns like a rose, cactus, or even an Orange...

The thorns are the hard, pointy ends of dormant branches and twigs... In the spring - the "Thorns" leaf out and aren't thorny any more...

Thanks

o

John I haven't found that to be the case with some varieties like Methely.

MH, your plums are very unlikely to have been grafted to American plum RS as none of the nurseries you deal with use it.

o

Interesting - as my Methley is very spiny...

My European plums like Italian Prune are not spiny..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here