Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evans Cherry spring harvest...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:50

suckers,..be aware, if unchecked, you can soon have a cherry jungle,.. when growing on their own roots.

About 3 year old suckers, it was tough work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evans Cherry spring harvest...

Interesting. How old was the parent tree? I haven't seen any suckers from my tree, but it's still fairly young.

o

About 20 years old,..it took about 12 years for it to sucker from wee tiny ones, about 1/4 of what you see.

o

You could start your own nursery! Funny because I've been trying to propagate this one from dormant cuttings, bottom heat seems to be doing the trick.

o

Konrad that's awesome so you are going to plant out another row today? Do you grow carmine Jewell? I was wondering if at some point they will start suckering? My clove currents are suckering like that this year and my Canadian bounty plums.

o

Konrad, It looks like you were able to separate the suckers with almost all of their roots intact. How did you go about saving so many of the roots?

o

I took advantage of spring thaw and on top of that it was a rainy
soggy day.

>> Do you grow carmine Jewell?<<
Got one plant, only 2 years old, I don't think any of the UOS sour cherries will sucker as bad as Evans, I believe Evans is the most vigorous of all, seen suckers as far as 20 feet away!

I have enough, been given them away in bundles in my neighborhood, now I try to sell them in Kijiji for $5.00 ea. local, you can list them for free...link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kijiji

o

That's a lot of cherry trees! To bad you cant grow more varieties. You could graft rows of different types. Do you still have a lot of room left on your property to plant more fruit trees? Did you dig to plant them or just to try to get rid of the suckers?

o

Konrad-

I've got an Evans here..same sucker madness. I'm always mowing over them. Amazing how thick they come up out of the ground/how far away from the tree.

Question: Is Evans compatible with sweet cherries? Not sure if you've tried that. Could be a good source for rootstock.

o

I got two rows and most suckers get mowed down, .in the row I let them be for now. Yes, you can graft sweet onto,..not in my climate, [nothing hardy yet], been trying, but I started some other pie cherries from the University of Saskatchewan.

>>Did you dig to plant them or just to try to get rid of the suckers?<<

I made the effort to dig and get most of the roots for better transplant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here