Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alauve

inosculate/pleach three pomegranate varieties?

alauve
11 years ago

I have limited space in my south Louisiana garden and have three 2-3 yr old potted varieties of pom: wonderful, sweet, and angel red.

All have been trained into "tree" shape with solitary trunks 5-7 ft tall.

I am considering planting all three in the same hole and weaving the trunks to form one tree that should "fuse", properly termed inosculation, I believe.

I can find no info on this technique for poms, but many fruit bearing tees do well, including figs.

Besides the question of whether this will work for poms generally, do the three varieties have similiar habits that would play well together? I am hoping for a 12-20 ft tree.

Alternatively, I suppose I could just plant them close together and not weave, going for more of a 3 legged crepe myrtle or legustrum type shape. I enjoy experimenting , though.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I would use something other than 'Wonderful', as it tends to be very, very vigorous. My 'Wonderful' is twice the size of my 'Sweet' and 'Angel Red'. I would pick a third variety with equal vigor to the other two, and see how this works. I would think you'd have significant issues with suckers (x 3), as poms really don't want to "be" a single trunk tree, and you'll constantly be dealing with suckers. Not that you probably could not do this, but I would think it would require a fair amount of maintenance. Let us know how it works, I'd love to see photos of the progressing work!

Patty S.

• alauve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty,

thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll just have to find space for all three, or just plant the angel red/sweet together and leave the wonderful solo.

Are your poms all mature? How tall are they?

Thanks

andy

• alauve
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or, perhaps, does anyone know of a reliable source that lists the average mature size of different varieties of pom?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

My poms are anywhere from 1 to 3 years old. My 'Wonderful' even with significant pruning is probably about 10' tall after 2 years (no kidding, they grow like weeds where I live). 'Wonderful' was really developed for us in S. Calif. Not the best pom, average to good, but it love, love, loves living here. If you drive around my area and look closely, you can see a 'Wonderful' in about every 3 or 4th yard :-) My 'Sweet' and my 'Angel Red' are on their 2nd year (same age) and 1/2 the size. You can try Rolling River Nursery, they grow a lot of poms, and should be able to give you some sizes of different cultivars.

Patty S.

• john_in_sc
    11 years ago

I kinda agree here too...
    I think certainly, you *Could* do it....

The question is really more what would you end up with?

As several others here kinda mention - Pom's tend to grow into bushy thickets rather than "Trees".... I think you would end up with a Pom thicket made up of a mishmash of different varieties on different stalks - with a higher incidence near where the "Parent" was stuffed into the hole... but no guarantees....

Thanks

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

John more or less describes what I have with some multi-variety bushes I made. I have been trying to keep track of the different varieties but if not careful one can take over. You need to do the pruning at fruiting time and use the different fruit characteristics to distinguish them and let you balance out the varieties. Any mix varieties can be balanced if you stay on top of it, but it takes some work.

Scott

• lilystaug
    11 years ago

I planted a pomegranate tree in my yard 18 months ago. It seems to be thriving, and is maybe 8 feet at the tallest point. It has multiple "trunks" and the branches start pretty close to the ground.

So far, no hint of blossom or fruit. My soil is very sandy, and I read here that this type of soil will not produce a lot of fruit. What can I do to help it grow and produce?