Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Prairie Star Claypool Persimmon

milehighgirl
10 years ago

Has anyone heard of Prairie Star Persimmon? Any comments? One Green World is selling it but I can't find any other info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Star

Comments (15)

• Tony
    10 years ago

MG,

It is a Claypool H118. Jerry Lehman told me it is good, large, nice red color , but a little soft when ripe.

Tony

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony,

I got an NC-10 from England last fall but it doesn't look to me like it made it. The rootstock and the scion are both shriveled. I was wondering if Prairie Star would be a good replacement as most likely everyone else is sold out. I have an order from OGW that hasn't shipped yet so I could add it. I guess I don't know what rootstock they use at OGW so I'd better find out.

Any suggestions?

• Tony
    10 years ago

MG,

You can call OGW and ask them but I pretty sure it is on D. Virginiana for American persimmon. Kaki sometimes they grafted it on D. Lotus.

Tony

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Tony, Are you sure it's H-118?
    From Englands'-
    Early Jewel (H-118) - Very Early, Large fruit, Reddish color fruit, Soft when ripe, very high quality fruit. Precocious and a consistent producer, bears seedless fruit south of the Ohio River due to it being a 90 Chromosome persimmon. Out of the Late James Claypool Breeding program.
    Container Grown Small Only

• Tony
    10 years ago

Noogy,

Praire Star is a trade name that OGW picked. I emailed Jerry Lehman and asked about it and he told me it was H-118 with the description. I am hoping my H-118 will fruit this year so I can put some input about it.

Tony

• murkwell
    8 years ago

Tony, did it fruit? What's your verdict? One Green World brought persimmons to a tasting last fall and they were either this one or the other "Prairie" one that they were selling.

I thought they were excellent, but I've only had a few American Persimmons.

• lucky_p
    8 years ago

While it's commonly accepted that the Ohio River is the dividing line between the 60 and 90 chromosome races of D.virginiana, I'm 90+ miles south of the Ohio, and 90-C females produced seeded fruits here - even before I ever grafted any 90-C males into my collection. So... don't bet the farm on that being true everywhere...

• Tony
    8 years ago

Murwell,

H-118 taste good but I like Prok better. This year my Jerry Lehman U-20A, Knightville, H-120, Jerry Lehman WS8-10, and Lena all producing fruits without a male. I will post the tast results later.

Tony

• northraleighguy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just bought one of these "Prairie Stars" at a local nursery. I'm glad that it's known on this forum. Crossing my fingers that it's self-fertile. My neighbors behind me have all their Fuyus ripening on their trees and I need to show them what real flavor is all about.

• murkwell
    8 years ago

Jim Gilbert of Northwoods Nursery, the grower for One Green World, told me that they produce seedless fruit in their orchard that has a number of persimmons, and the One Green World website refers to it as "apparently self fertile".

Tony, when does prok ripen relative to Prairie Star (H-118)? With my short season I like the descriptor "one of the earliest ripening American Persimmons" given to Prairie Star on the OGW website.

• Tony
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

End of September for both. Prok has a much bigger fruit but they both are very good.

Tony

• northraleighguy
    8 years ago
    Thanks - I'll put it in the ground this week!
  • yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago

Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

how is your Prairie Star persimmon doing? Is it still alive, is it producing well, do you have to protect it in the winter season.

• yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

northraleighguy(7b)

Thank you very much. O that looks so nice I wish to have something like that. I plan to buy Prairie Star in the spring time 2018 and wish I live in Zone 7b, but my Zone is 5b (cold)