Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriewilson_gw

Help--Clay Soil for Strawberries!

CarrieWilson
9 years ago

We bought 100 strawberry plants (some day-neutral, some June bearing) from Stark Bros. They sat in the box for over a week due too cold weather here and lots of rain. So I was anxious to get them in the ground. We are using raised beds for them. Got the bed tilled up (double-dug too), with compost in there. But I never physically checked the soil until today. I should have waited but with 4 kids running around and an hour to get this done, I couldn't wait. So I planted them. Now I regret it because at least in one bed, the soil was very clay-like. What should I do? Would it cause the plants too much stress to dig them up, till in some vermiculite and put them back in, all in one day? Or should I just risk it and see if they are OK. All beds were fed with Strawberry Food after planting. The bed that was particularly bad has the June bearing ones in it, which can stay put for a while. I know that after a couple years the everbearing ones will have to be yanked. I wish I had just been more patient but couldn't bear to wait another day, especially with more rain coming in the next day or two. Help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz