Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on honeyberry

Posted by clayfarmer Zone 6a Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 0:07

Anyone here have experience growing honeyberry? I've been looking into possibly adding a couple to supplement some of my other berries.
Do you care for them similar to other berry bushes? How big do they get? Are suggestions on particular varieties for zone 6?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on honeyberry

We have 1 honeyberry bush. We have done nothing to it other than plant it. I think it's on it's 4th or 5th season. It grows slower than blueberry bushes but is extremely healthy. The fruit tastes awful though, so it is kind of a running joke in our family. Not sure how they got their name. My kids will eat a couple off but then the rest usually falls off.

o

I'm surprised that you get any fruit with only 1 bush. Everything I have seen says that they need at least one other variety to pollinate with.

As to the taste, were the berries fully purple on the inside? If they are green on the inside they need more time to ripen. Of course, you could have a bad variety. Per the University of Saskatchewan:

"The good varieties taste something like blueberries & raspberries. The bad ones taste like tonic water"

I've just started with honeyberries. The first 3 are already planted, with the next 3 coming in the next few days.

Blue Velvet
Berry Blue (Czech #17)
Blue Moon (Sergei)

Midnight Blue
Borealis
Tundra

The last 2 on the list are relatively new varieties from UoS.

o

Agreed that there's nothing magical to growing it. My 4 varieties grow pretty slowly, but I figured that's because they get a lot of shade. I too am surprised that yours taste bad. I like mine quite a bit. A lot more juicy than a blueberry... but since my plants are small, I don't get too many. At least the fruit seems to be hidden from the birds so they don't steal 'em.
-Glenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here