Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach conundrum

Posted by brookw (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 0:10

I have a 15 assorted peach trees, including a 6 year old Elberta that was quite loaded this sping. We did have a damaging freeze that took out around 20% of the fruits, but the rest came out ok. The weather has been such that I've maintained the best spray schedule in years, and I thinned this tree heavily just like the others. Yesterday, when I inspected the trees, I discovered that this tree had dropped all of its fruit. I mean there are 2 peaches left on this tree. The temps here have shot up to the upper 80's and we have begun our annual monsoon season w/5 inches of rain this week. Still, all the other trees look pretty good. This tree looks good too; it just dropped all its fruit. Could it be a delayed reaction to the freeze, the sudden burst of heat, the sprays, insects, the rain??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach conundrum

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 10:57

Brook,

I think your Elberta suffered more freeze damage than other peaches. If so, this is not unusual. Odds are very small sprays, heat, insects would affect just one tree. Nor have I seen too much rain cause fruit drop on peach trees. They retain their fruit until they collapse. I've seen pears drop fruit from too much water.

I recall a few years ago, we had a damaging late freeze and some peach trees had very thin crops while others had full crops. I strongly suspect this is what happened to you.

Redskin was one of the cultivars unaffected. It's interesting one of its parents is Elberta, the other Redhaven. Perhaps it got it's hardiness from Redhaven, since your Elberta was so affected.

o
RE: peach conundrum

Old Pea, thanks. Yeah, I thought as much. We had two hard freezes 4/10 and 4/11. Some fruits were immediately affected, but a week later I began thinning. Many fruits were slightly discolored but didn't have the tell tale wrinkling that indicates ruined fruits. I just find it strange that it took them nearly a month to drop and that it was only on the one tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here