Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverman1

Burgess Nursery-Buyer Beware!

riverman1
11 years ago

I knew I shouldn't do it but I ordered some trees and shrubs from Burgess this spring. Of the 25 I ordered, I think 3 are going to survive.

I contacted Burgess and asked if I could email them a copy of my invoice and ask for a replacement of the dead plants........they said NO!

They require you to mail in the information that came on the outside of the box which in my case was pretty destroyed by packing tape.

Why won't they accept the original invoice or for that matter just look up my name in their customer database?

To me this makes it clear that Burgess doesn't really want to help me the customer. By the time I snail-mail them the invoice and wait for the plants to come back it will be July and 100 degrees here.

I won't be ordering from Burgess again.

RM

Comments (10)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

They do have a bad reputation....as more people learn to check companies out before they buy companies like this will fall by the side of the road. Did you know about their rep and just decided to roll the dice? Like Benny said dispute the charge.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I ordered a few things under their Direct Gardening name.It wasn't until later that I checked.
    The plants didn't even come in a box.It was a big plastic bag and they were like sticks,with nothing on the roots.
    I'm surprised though,there is only one thing,a Juneberry,that hasn't shown some growth yet.
    A lot of interesting stories from people dealing with them. Brady

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Agree. This is not a reputable company per my personal experiences. Another company called Four Seasons Nursary , I believe is also part of Burgess. Be very careful if you want buy product from them. They use low price to attract customers. If you want replacement plants, you need to save the shipping label on the box in order to get warranted replacement plants. otherwise, you are out of luck.

• olpea
    11 years ago

A few years ago, one of my neighbors ordered from Burgess. Ordered 6 trees and some blackberry plants. None of the blackberries survived and three of the trees failed to leaf. Of the three trees that did survive, one of them appears to be a rootstock.

Burgess wouldn't replace any of his plants because he couldn't find his receipt.

They apparently don't want to honor their guarantee because they send out such sorry stock.

Sounds like they are just a step above Ty Ty (barely).

• riverman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did know about their rep but rolled the dice. I sent out my replacement request and if they don't replace them then so be it. It was only a $30.00 order so I won't be out too much money. Definitely not a company to do business with.

RM

• riverman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I sent a letter into Burgess telling them that my plants had died and requested a replacement of the plants. My request included a copy of the original invoice which includes my order number, the number and species of plants ordered, and my name and billing address.

They responded by saying that I needed to send a copy of a cancelled check or credit card statement........in other words, Burgess is a scam!

I filed a complaint against them to the Illinois Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau. I found out that they have hundreds of complaints against them and have a "D" consumer rating.

I then went to ripoffreport.com and found out that Burgess is part of a group of companies that all have a horrible consumer rating.........11 companies in total. What a scam! Beware of where you order!

RM

• Iva Messer
    8 years ago

We ordered almost $200.00 of plants and shrubs. I have never seen anything like was sent. Dead limbs , dead bulbs, and dead plants. And the whole bunch came in one plastic bag. Lessen learned the hard way. A place like this should not be allowed to stay in business.

• danzeb
    8 years ago

Fortunately there are sellers that take good care of their customers. In 2014 I ordered some plants from HoneyberryUSA. One of them leafed out but died after a month. I emailed them and told them my problem. They quickly responded telling me that it was now out of stock but there would be more in 2015. They asked that if I place an order for plants in 2015 to remind them about the loss. I did not place an order in 2015 and forgot about my dead plant. In April 2015 a package arrived with me replacement plant.

• Christina S
    8 years ago

I ordered from them a few years ago, lured in by the low prices, which admittedly are hard to beat. Most of the plants were skimpy, some dead, some missing. My first package (I had several--over $200 in plants and seed packets) was of seeds, and some of them were not present, but the box did not include the information on the company's requirement for retaining packaging info in that package, so I threw away the outer packaging and was unable to submit it for replacements. After that I retained my packaging info with future shipments from that order and submitted for returns of each and every dead plant, and recieved most of them, to their credit.

Another problem I had with them was the timing in which the plants were sent. I ordered in early spring, yet many of the shipments came in summer, when it was already too hot where I live (MD, Zone 7A) to make their survival viable. The pamphlet which accompanies their plants explicitly says that any time of year is a good time to plant plants, ha! I can see why they chose to include that little myth in their standard planting booklet! When many of the plants arrived late and didn't leaf out before winter, or their replacements didn't, I waited to see if they would in the following spring. After speaking to their customer service agents on the phone, one of them suggested I send a bank statement indicating the charge incurred in lieu of the cumbersome packaging info in my request for replacements. When I did this I did not hear back, and when I called to ask when my replacements would ship I was told my bank statement submission was not protocol and would not be honored, and that any resubmission would not be covered by their 1 year guarantee. The final straw was long after the one year guarantee was past, two years in when my 5 grape vines gloriously set fruit, and I found much to my chagrin that instead of 4 different red and green varieties, I had 5 concord grapes, which I dislike and had purposefully avoided. I guess I'm set for juice this year! Thanks, Burgess!