Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

American Persimmon Varieties to choose

Tony
11 years ago

If you are interested in growing American Persimmons, here is the interesting link you can compare American Persimmon sizes and flavors. If anyone know how to post this link for me that will be helpful.

www.exotickerostliny.cz/en/katalog.../68-diospyros-virginiana.html

Tony

Comments (101)

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

Tony thank You so much for the info. I searched at eat-it.com the tree that I want Jiro Oriental Persimmon itâÂÂs $70 tree, which is o.k. for 7 gallons, but they want $100 for shipping +tree cost
    At burntridgenursery.com for example HANA FUYU PERSIMMON (Diospyros kaki) very cheap only $25 (probably tree is small) and I donâÂÂt know is tree grafted or not. Also I donâÂÂt like that they have same picture of fruit for different varieties.
    Tony what is your suggestion about what is the best non Astringent kind of persimmon? My other tree Giant Fuyu I bought from Wills Orchards (didnâÂÂt have fruits yet) but IâÂÂm hoping it will be Giant Fuyu, not something else. I want to buy other not Astringent persimmon, but not Hana or Giant Fuyu, maybe just plain Fuyu since they starts fruiting earlier then Giant Fuyu? I live in zone 7 New York. Can I buy small grafted tree from you? Please email me alenka9999@gmail.com

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leo,

Burntridge is decent. I bough a Nikita's Gift from them 4 yrs ago and they sent me a 4 feet tall tree for $25. Majority of Asian persimmons are grafted on either native American or D Lotus rootstocks. You can call Michael at BR to verify. Native American persimmon rootstock is more cold hardy then D. lotus. I bought my Ichi Kei Ki Jiro from Starkbros nursery about four year ago also and it was very cold hardy, early ripening, and sweet. Tam Kam is another excellent non-astringent, large and sweet per Alex on this forum but mostly sold out by now. Sorry That I don't have any grafted Asian persimmon for sale. You can check with Cliff England At Nuttrees.net and he can graft about any Asian Persimmon varieties for you. Also check out Raintree nursery, One Green World, Just fruit and exotic nursery in Florida, Strakbros nursery and Legg creek farm in Texas.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 23:15

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry Leo,

I have a Tamopan and they are a very large fruit and the ring/cap makes it very easy to Id. I would show the nursery this thread and ask them to make it right. On the positive at least it was not a pecan that that you cared for maybe 12 years to find mislabeled.

Tony listed some nurseries that carry a good selection, and a couple good choices. I am on beach vacation and stopped at Just Fruits and exotics yesterday. I wanted to add a Tam Kam, but they were out. I have a young self-grafted one but I am impatient. I did pick up a Gwang Yang.

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

Thank you so much guys. Tony I did research all website you gave me, and my 1-st choice is: TAM KAM NON-ASTRINGENT PERSIMMON. I like it because itâÂÂs Very Sweet, bright orange, high quality fruit weighing about 6 oz. most winter hardy
    Just Fruits and exotics carry them, and Tony you were right â¦of cause right now they out of stock, but I will wait till spring and maybe theyâÂÂll have them. Tomorrow IâÂÂll call them (they closed today) and maybe theyâÂÂll put me on a waiting list.
    strudeldog Gwang Yang that you bought also a good choice, very similar to Tam Kam.
    The nursery which made a mistake I bought my tree from: Conrad Schweizer Nurseries in New York, Staten Island I donâÂÂt think she will pay 1/2 of the cost for her mistake. IâÂÂll try to go there one day and tell her what happened; IâÂÂll let you know what sheâÂÂll tell me

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

Tony thanks again for the website, I just ordered 4 trees from Just Fruits and Exotics, and at spring IâÂÂll order TAM KAM. I spoke to the man (I forgot his name) he was really nice and helpful! I like that theyâÂÂll send trees in the 3 gallon container, (no bare roots).
    I supposed to get my package next week, IâÂÂm not sure if I can plant my trees now in November or keep them in my garage for winter and plant them next spring, what do you suggest? IâÂÂm afraid the weather here in New York getting much colder compare to Florida, I donâÂÂt want my trees to stress :)

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leo,

The trees will stay dormant in the garage and just remember to keep the soil moist through out the winter months and then plant them in the spring. Once in a while, I overwinter my young Kaki grafts in the garage.

Tony

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

Tony thank You so much for your help, IâÂÂm so happy now!!! I will water my trees in the garage about once a week, and they donâÂÂt need light right? Because no leafs. In February-March IâÂÂm going to Russia (Ukraine) where I was born, maybe IâÂÂll bring another persimmon tree (small plant) if theyâÂÂll come out with something new :)

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leo,

Yes, no light needed. You have a nice trip. I hope you can bring back a nice variety so we can share scionwoods for grafting someday.

Tony

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony, and of cause IâÂÂll let you know what IâÂÂll bring from Russia :)

• milehighgirl
    10 years ago

So, back to the original post. I now have Virginiana rootstock to graft to. (seeing as my NC-10 died back to rootstock). I also have Rosseyanka, Smith's Best, and Great Wall. Can anyone suggest a good cultivar that will fit well with these?

Also, would it be wise to get a male scion as well?

• indicente
    10 years ago

leo_leo_1

Try to get scions and find more information about new ukraine persimmon selections named Gora Goverla, Gora Roman Kosh, Nikita ôs Gift no.2. Their were selected from original Nikita and should have bigger fruits, but there are not so often yet...

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

According to Russian site I was reading:
    http://idealsad.net.ua/hurma-gora-goverla.html
    Gora Goverla which is: ÃÂ¥ÃÂÃÂüð GþÃÂð GþòõÃÂûð itâÂÂs the best kind of persimmons, fruits are big up to 350g. ItâÂÂs a big tree about 5 miters high, Very cold resistant - 26 Celsius
    Persimmon Gora Roman Kosh which is ÃÂ¥ÃÂÃÂüð GþÃÂð àþüðý ÃÂþàhttp://sadovodstvo.in.ua/p15870692-hurma-sort-gora.html
    Hybrid, also very cold resistant -25ðá , fruits are large, delicious taste, ripens in beginning of November and can stay on the tree until middle of January . Very productive tree, (a lot of fruits on the tree) but size of the tree- small, about 2-2.7 miters.
    They have a lot of tree for sale in Ukraine now (about 25$ each) I donâÂÂt know if IâÂÂm allowed to bring the tree to USA, but will definitely bring scionwoods for grafting :)

• Shebekino
    10 years ago

Amercan persimmon in Russia . Belgorod region . Shebekino
    Meader, Keener and Belogorye.

• Tony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sheb,

Nice looking Am. persimmon fruits. You should try Rossyanka hybrid persimmon that is hardy to -20F. Or even Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon ( mine was as sweet as Hachiya Asian persimmon) hardy to -10F, and with growing on the south side of the house plus winter protection possibly down to -15F.

Tony

• Vitalya
    10 years ago

Shebekino ã ÃÂðàõÃÂÃÂàÃÂðöõýÃÂÃÂ?

• Shebekino
    10 years ago

Good day Vitalya.

Yes.

Vladimir.

• Shebekino
    10 years ago

Hi Tony.

Thank you.
    Rossyanka hybrid and Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon frost has less than Keener. These varieties do not fit my climate.

Vladimir

• rofig
    10 years ago

Hi Shebekino!
    You think it's possible to send small plants or scionwood to Europe?

Thanks!

• Shebekino
    10 years ago

Hi Rofig!

I do not know how to do this, it is necessary to examine this issue.

But,
    You can contact Cliff England at England Orchard to buy persimmon scionwoods and plant. He has a large inventory.

Thanks!

Vladimir.

• omicron
    9 years ago

Just got burned fro Stark Brothers nursery. Sold me a Prok persimmon select tree and two weeks later told me they were sold out. Maybe should have mentioned this before I paid.... Now having a tough time finding any in stock at the other stores. Be care with these jokers.

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

Omicron,

Maybe you missed a persimmon thread, but I have no idea which one.

• Hoover28
    9 years ago

Where can I buy a Geneva Long persimmon tree?

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoover,

I got mine from John Gordon but he passed away. You can try Cliff England at Nuttrees.net.

Tony

• davidw58
    9 years ago

have begun to get into persimmons, found this forum by chance and joined, I recently bought some persimmon seedlings for use as rootstock from a person I trust. what would happen if I let some of the rootstock grow with out grafting anything to the tree? Would fruit be viable? Not sure of parent, possible yates and prok with unknown male. zone 5

This post was edited by DavidW58 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 10:10

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

David,
    Nothing wrong with letting those seedlings grow - but it's a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll end up with staminate(nonfruiting) males, or females that could be the greatest new selection or a really crappy fruiter.
    If you've got space and 8-10 years to wait to find out what you've got...

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

Actually, I prefer to go that route. I've had much more success letting seedlings grow in the field. I've direct seeded and started some under lights in rootmaker cells in the winter. You can grow them very inexpensively this way and plant them by the hundreds. You can then pick the best when they hit about 1" in diameter and bark graft them.

Bare root persimmons don't transplant well. Some will be fine, but many will have a hard time with the transplant stress. Many leaf out very late and some will die above the graft and some will just die.

When the root stock is well established in the field, bark grafting seems to work very well with little chance of the tree dying. If the graft fails (which is pretty infrequent), you can just let water sprouts grow near the top and cut right below them and try again the next spring.

• leo_leo_1
    9 years ago

What a disappointment again
    CanâÂÂt trust anybodyâ¦
    As you know one of my tree from local nursery instead of Giant Fuyu turned out being Tamopan :( I had another Giant Fuyu, (I ordered few years ago from Willis Orchards in 2011) so I hoped that one will be real Giant Fuyu, and guess what? This year finally it gave me fruits, and look at this, I donâÂÂt think itâÂÂs Giant Fuyu :( I like Non-Astringent Varieties, and this one looks like HACHIYA?

{{gwi:91890}}
    {{gwi:91891}}
    {{gwi:91892}}

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leo

Sorry to hear the same problem again. Next time buy your persimmon trees at Just Fruit and Exotic.

Tony

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

I can't say enough good about the trees I got from JF&E. They were absolutely beautiful!

• leo_leo_1
    9 years ago

Thanks Tony. Last fall you advised me about JustFruitsandExotic.com and thank you so much for that. I ordered 4 trees from them last fall (Jiro). I kept them in the garage over the winter and planted them at spring. I like those trees! But Giant Fuyu was Out of Stock, they put me on a waiting list. Hopefully this fall IâÂÂll order Giant Fuyu from them.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Can you graft the fruiting females to non fruiting seedling males like you can with mulberries for example?

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Clark
    Sure. You can multi grafts to the male tree and also use it as a pollinator.

Tony

• tbeck3579
    9 years ago

Any guesses about this tree? Its "parent" was planted about 60-70 years ago, and this one was planted by the birds about 30 years ago. They are both about ~40 feet, and seem to have fruited much better since I began bee keeping - the fruit is much larger. I'm in Illinois, zone 5, and the first tree was planted by grandparents who were avid gardeners, cooks, and farmers.

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tbeck.

It is a native American persimmon but the variety is very difficult to tell because there are so many different varieties out there.

Tony

• tbeck3579
    9 years ago

Thank you Tony! Very kind of you to answer. I attached a picture of the male (left) and female (right). I also have a picture of the seeds but can only post 1 pic at a time. There is a larger and better looking male a short distance from the ones in the pic and 2 more females. They are very old trees. My mother-in-law had told me they are sour and she didn't like them so I have been mowing over the fruit for years. The yard always smells like a brewery in the fall. After doing a little research I discovered why they made her "pucker". I began to wonder why our grand parents planted them so long ago and did some limited research. They aren't ripe yet but I picked some and placed them in my apple barrel to ripen. I'm looking forward to cooking with them but apparently I need to know a little more before I can choose which recipes, thus my quest for the persimmon info :)

• tbeck3579
    9 years ago

Here are the seeds - only 2 in the fruit.

• forestandfarm
    9 years ago

If you are looking for recipes and such you might want to check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: persimmon pudding web site

• Shebekino
    9 years ago

American persimmon in Russia

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

shebenko,
    Is the fruit in the upper right corner 'Geneva Long'?
    Certainly resembles it.

• Shebekino
    9 years ago

Lucky_p,

No. Is the fruit in the upper right corner "Prok".

• kynuttree
    9 years ago

As I do not get a lot of time to read all I would Like when I do I find some very interesting commits and I am thankful We do have many persimmons available this year and others we are sold out of but this coming season we will have a large selection to choose from as we will have some many root stock that it will take the majority of the farm trees scion wood to graft all the root stock we will have . Many new and exciting cultivars will be introduced and some for the first time cultivars such as Kasandra , Sistroyonka = big sister and a few that are so large and hardy that you would swear they are Kaki

Last winter was a very hard one for us as the winter temps reach minus 23.4 Celsius or -11 degrees F and we lost 268 grafted Kaki trees there are some survivors like Korea Kaki, Inchon, Vaniglia, , CHinibel, Miss Kim, Shan Xi, Orest, and Chibacha that had not winter injury at all look forward to talking with all of you

Cliff England

• kynuttree
    9 years ago

Shebekino that is some very nice looking fruit good size and pretty colour

Thank you

Cliff

• Shebekino
    9 years ago

Cliff,

Persimmon "Wonderful" is very nice fruit, good size and beautiful color.

Thank you

Vladimir.

• Greg
    9 years ago

Cliff ;
    Do you know if Kasandra is self fertile? I really like the looks of it and typically our coldest temp here is right around -11 F.
    Thanks Greg

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greg,

I believe most Hybrid persimmons are self fertile: Rossyanka, Nikita's Gift,and Kasandra.

Tony

• kynuttree
    9 years ago

From my observations like other hybrids Kasandra is in deed self pollinating even while in the presents of many Male hybrids and non hybridize males I have in the 3 year it has been fruiting not witnessed it to produce a single seed i have seen seed fragments or non filled seed cases.

good growing

Cliff

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cliff

Is Kasandra tastes more like Nikita's Gift or Rossyanka? Can you tell Us a little more infos on Sistroyonka = big sister?

Tony

• yovan mcgregor
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shebekino

did you protect your persimmons during winter time? are they still alive? How is your Virginska persimmon. Thank you Владимир Евдокимов

• HU-875237845
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Varie

ety?

• HU-875237845
    4 years ago

Mr Tony could you help me with the variety's name , and could you suggest some PCNA flat shaped persimmon? maybe hybrid and also some cold hardy one's.