Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I harvest pears?

Posted by westcapemay NJ (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 0:27

I have a 50 year old pear tree in my rear yard. Every year 4-5 bushels of pears are produced by this tree. The pears are hard. The pears are larger than a fist. The pears start to drop around mid September.

Sometimes but not often a branch may break.

Not knowing how to harvest these pears, I have tilled the entire fruit production into my vegetable garden. What a waste!

What should I do to harvest these pears for consumption. Should I prune the tree? Reduce the amount of fruit? When is the best time to harvest? Should I spray with something during the growing season.

I don't even know what kind of pear it is. I did start a new tree from seed. Its about 4 years old now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I harvest pears?

Most pears in my neck of the woods (Texas) ripen in early august. I'll bet yours will be ready in late august. I pick them in batches and store a lot of them in the crisper drawer of my fridge. I leave them there for anywhere from weeks to several months and then I ripen them on the counter of my kitchen for a week to ten days until they soften. You can use a fruit picker to help you reach the ones at the top of the tree that are hard to reach. Hope this helps.

Scape

o

If the pears are hard when they drop they probably are only good for canning if anything at all. If they are soft and rotting in the center when they fall and the non-rotting flesh is gritty but sweet you should have picked them 2 weeks sooner or so. When firm ripe, most varieties will break freely from the tree when turned gently in your hand. They can then be fully ripened at room temperature or refrigerated and ripened later. A firm ripe pear tastes sweet off the tree (if it is ever going to get sweet).

o

Pears usually wont tree ripen, they need to be picked firm and green, then they ripen up in a cool dark place.
If you leave them on the tree too long they go rotten around the core first.

My father in law has a tree where the fruit will just not soften but they are the best pear for cooking.

Trust ^^^^ Harvestman up there.

o

About 3 weeks before the time you expect them to start falling begin testing them by picking a pear and cutting it in half.
Turn one half so that the light reflects off the flesh. If it looks dull it is not time to pick. If it has a sheen as if it is more moist, then it is time to pick. If you start 3 weeks early at first they will not be ready and will be dull so you will have something to compare with when they are ready. When the test pear has a nice sheen pick all the pears that you want and you can store them in a cool place and bring them out to ripen. Most pears should be picked when they are still hard. There are only a few varieties that you can let ripen on the tree. Pears ripen from the inside out, that is why they can get so mushy on the inside when the outer part is still pretty firm. By ripening them off the tree you get a nice eating pear. Some varieties do not store as long as others so keep a sharp eye on the ones you have in storage in case they are all ripening before you take them into a warm room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here