Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Rev. Morgan apples?

Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 0:28

I'm looking to expand my collection of low chill apples. Has anyone tried the Reverend Morgan apple from Texas? It's a sport of Granny Smith that was discovered in the Houston area. Any success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Rev. Morgan apples?

Thats funny I was just looking in to buying one of those and a pettingill.

o

Mine looks like it will fruit this year, I'll post in the fall.

However as always my advice on apples is to ignore the chilling hours and plant what you want.

o

Really? So I can plant a red delicious or Empire in Orange County? Are my dreams coming true?? Lol

o

That might be a good pollinator for my Williams Pride.

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 0:05

I think there's some truth to the fact that certain apple types that are typically grown in high chill environments can also grow and bear fruit in low chill areas, like my home in Phoenix. There's probably a heat component that somehow substitutes for chill. Fuji is a good example of a tree that has done well everywhere I've tried it.

However, a lot of varieties that I've tried that did well for me in Ohio definitely had less vigor and delayed leafing and bloom here in Arizona. The trees were lanky and often only bore a few fruits; the apples themselves were smaller and the taste was generally off.

Applenut is right -- a lot of apples, probably the majority of apples, will grow in lower chill places. However, the key thing to growing apples in lower chill environments is to identify varities that will thrive and produce good fruit in warm winter/hot summer environments versus those that are largely duds. I know Kevin lists his favorites on his website.

Rev. Morgan, which has apparently done well in Texas, should do well here in Arizona. Just wanted to see if anyone has had success with it or if it's a shy bearer.

o

Dont know but it looks good though:-) I think Ill try it out with a pettingil(spelling?)

o

Kuffel creek sells all types of apples and most are high chill that do well in southern cali. They have 20 favorites that do well in the heat. Here is the link.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/favorites.htm

minimum order is 10 trees at $10 ea plus a $48 state fee per order and a flat rate $15 shipping so each tree on a minimum order is $16.30. If anyone in Houston is ordering from them let me know I could take 4. If anyone in Houston is interested let me know.

o

Picked two Reverend Morgans; they rock. Firm, crisp, juicy flesh, lots of bite tempered with sugar, spicy overtones. Color's not so great so you won't see many in the store, but definatly worth growing. Reminds me a lot of Thompson County King.

o

Anybody know if they are online nurseries or Houston nurseries selling this apple?

It's funny how this apple originated here in Houston, but the only apple varieties I find offered here are Anna and Dorsett.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here