Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
at120ajb

Anyone growing Rev. Morgan apples?

AJBB
11 years ago

I'm looking to expand my collection of low chill apples. Has anyone tried the Reverend Morgan apple from Texas? It's a sport of Granny Smith that was discovered in the Houston area. Any success?

Comments (13)

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Thats funny I was just looking in to buying one of those and a pettingill.

• applenut_gw
    11 years ago

Mine looks like it will fruit this year, I'll post in the fall.

However as always my advice on apples is to ignore the chilling hours and plant what you want.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Really? So I can plant a red delicious or Empire in Orange County? Are my dreams coming true?? Lol

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

That might be a good pollinator for my Williams Pride.

• AJBB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think there's some truth to the fact that certain apple types that are typically grown in high chill environments can also grow and bear fruit in low chill areas, like my home in Phoenix. There's probably a heat component that somehow substitutes for chill. Fuji is a good example of a tree that has done well everywhere I've tried it.

However, a lot of varieties that I've tried that did well for me in Ohio definitely had less vigor and delayed leafing and bloom here in Arizona. The trees were lanky and often only bore a few fruits; the apples themselves were smaller and the taste was generally off.

Applenut is right -- a lot of apples, probably the majority of apples, will grow in lower chill places. However, the key thing to growing apples in lower chill environments is to identify varities that will thrive and produce good fruit in warm winter/hot summer environments versus those that are largely duds. I know Kevin lists his favorites on his website.

Rev. Morgan, which has apparently done well in Texas, should do well here in Arizona. Just wanted to see if anyone has had success with it or if it's a shy bearer.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Dont know but it looks good though:-) I think Ill try it out with a pettingil(spelling?)

• redrac
    11 years ago

Kuffel creek sells all types of apples and most are high chill that do well in southern cali. They have 20 favorites that do well in the heat. Here is the link.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/favorites.htm

minimum order is 10 trees at $10 ea plus a $48 state fee per order and a flat rate $15 shipping so each tree on a minimum order is $16.30. If anyone in Houston is ordering from them let me know I could take 4. If anyone in Houston is interested let me know.

• santo379
    10 years ago

Anybody know if they are online nurseries or Houston nurseries selling this apple?

It's funny how this apple originated here in Houston, but the only apple varieties I find offered here are Anna and Dorsett.

• bhouse53
    9 years ago

I planted the Reverend Morgan in 2008 by third year it really came into its own! the tree is about 9-10' tall. I have a yard with high pines and a number of trees. It has produced moderately so far as to be expected. Production increases with age and size. Our weather since planted has been extreme, hurricane, drought, high winds. This year the rains have returned and I am looking forward to a good harvest. Trunk diameter is about 4+"

• maryhawkins99
    9 years ago

Say applenut, would you guess at it's pest resistance? Is it thick skinned and dense like king david?

Thanks.

• applenut_gw
    9 years ago

bhawkins; the best moth-resistant apples I've had are either hard as a rock like Arkansas Black and King David, or ripen so late the moths aren't around, like Lady Williams, Sundowner, and some mystery green apple I'm trying to ID in another post. Not sure why Reverend Morgan faded out of the picture in Texas, but a Google search will find nurseries that mail order it. Despite what you've heard, Texas is a hotbed of apple growing, as is Hawaii.

• Parul Garg
    3 years ago

Applenut, what other apple do you grow in Houston?

Could I ask for a cucuttimg of the Rev Morgan from anyone on here ?