Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quince tree not bearing

Posted by neptune24 GA, 8A (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 0:29

In the fall of 2010, I planted a quince tree that was about 8 feet tall, but the trunk was less than an inch thick. It may have grown a foot or so since then. It had some galls last year, which I tried to pinch off. It has had a few this year as well, but seemingly fewer than last year. Anyway, about a month ago, the tree had lots of flowers on it. However, it doesn't appear that there is any fruit growing on the tree. (It didn't bear last year either.) Does it take years and years before quince trees start to bear? Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quince tree not bearing

It will probably bear next year. I have a quince I planted in 2010 and it set two fruits this year, so it did "barely bear".

Scott

o

Do 'self-fertile' trees like Quinces still need pollination from a bee to pollinate it from another flower on the same tree?

Just curious as this year was unusually warm early spring, and maybe some of the bees weren't out pollinating yet in early April?

o

No bees on my quince tree--they bloom too early here for bees to be around--still makes plenty of fruit--no other quince trees around for 1/2 mile.

Give the Neptune tree a couple of more years.

o

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses. OK, I'll take the advice Julie Andrews gave out in "The Sound of Music":

Just wait...a year...or two. ;)

o

Only a few "eating" quinces are going to do OK in 8a in Georgia so keep an eagle-eye out for fireblight.

Many ornamental quinces (different genera) do fine and a few have edible fruit, though mainly for jelly.

I have "Orange" quince, which has survived the prevalence of fireblight. It is possibly the most common eating quince for this climate.

o

Thanks, gonebananas. My quince is Cydonia oblonga--don't know if that helps. So far, it doesn't seem to have any fire blight (just some galls). However, I Googled fire blight, and the pictures look EXACTLY like what I have on my 20-year-old pear trees, and also (to a lesser extent) on some of my apple trees. (I thought it was just our drought.) What can be done about fire blight?

o

Just bumping this back up. So is fire blight curable?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here