Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting right now?

Posted by brownmola San Diego (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 0:29

Hello, I have a Satsuma Plum that is very healthy but doesn't produce much fruit and would like to add more scions to it. I successfully grafted a Beauty scion onto it but everything was just breaking dormancy. I would say that 85% of the Satsuma Plum has fully leafed out. I just found a possible source for getting a few more free plum scions right now.

Is it too late to graft? If not, any advice on grafting onto branches that are already leafed out? Should I graft onto new wood from the past 2 months of growth or should I stick with last year's wood? Should I remove the leaves on the donor branches?

I can only do cleft grafts as all the other grafts I've never had success with.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting right now?

From the extremely little I understand about grafting (on the practical side at least), the answer to your question will depend not on your Satsuma, but rather on your scion wood. A lot of experienced people on this forum have advocated waiting to graft until the rootstock is actively growing, AS LONG AS THE SCION IS DORMANT. Sounds like that's the key right there. Seems like it might be hard to get dormant scion that is still in good condition this time of year, but I have no idea.

Of course you could also try budding during the growing season, without having to find dormant scion wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here