Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Best way to label trees?

milehighgirl
11 years ago

There was a post a while ago about how to permanently label trees; I simply cannot find it now. I remember one person said something about putting a nail in the trunk with a metal embossed label. At the time I really didn't realize how fast my trees were going to out-grow their metal tags put on with wire; now one of my apples has no label and I can't figure out what it is.

Any suggestions for permanent labels?

Comments (24)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

If I want a label to stay, cut a strip of thin aluminum flashing,..comes in rolls, [hardware store] you can write with a ball pen or electrical engraver, punch a hole with a nail over a piece of wood and use a wire to hang on the branch, make sure to make a large loop so the branch has many years not grow in the wire.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Use a Rambo knife to carve initials into the trunk?

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Maybe a backup diagram would be a good idea, because even the best labeling system could fail -- branches come off in storms, people and animals disturb things, etc.

Honestly, I have a bunch of young apple trees that I can't ID right now. When they begin to bear, I can match the fruit to the description. I know WHAT I bought because I have the sales receipts from the nurseries, but I didn't label them when planted, and I removed the nursery tags because those sometimes bind the trunk.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

some large nurseries i know of use one, two, or three lines of paint to keep track of what is what. i knownone research program that finally settled on a system similiar to the metal tags on wire described above. another guy j know who is ocd/retwntive enough to keep meticulous records relies on charts and maps. i know of public gardens and arboretae that use computerized software and whatever particular data collection mechanism that software relies on ( more sophisticated rely on digital pics and gps readings, less sophisticated are juwt spreadsheets where each lines and fields in the spreadsheet represent grids in the field.)

this is a problem many people deal with. they find the solution that fits their needs.

as long as it works for you

• Randy31513
    11 years ago

I use a diagram I make in Microsoft Word. You can insert a text box then move the box around to represent the actual location. In the box I put the name and date planted. I even added a little tree icon.

• marknmt
    11 years ago

Like Konrad said, except I use strips I cut out of the heavier beer cans- Heinekens, for example. Gives me an excuse to buy different beers.

I use aluminum wire (from stranded electrical wire at hardware store) which I like because you can make a big loop to allow for growth, but you can squeeze the loop down to a mini-loop to stay on small branches.)

Before I learned how easy it is to lose labels I lost a number of them, and I have half a dozen grafts from one year that are now labeled with a list of possibilities -everything I grafted that year! Should start to see apples in another year or so on those, and then maybe I'll be able to fix it.

• glenn_russell
    11 years ago

Here's what I did. -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My new graft labels

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Below is one past discussion of the topic, you can see my labeling method there. I am using copper sheeting for durability but aluminum is a lot cheaper. I am going after 30-year tags, aluminum starts to dissolve by then (I have a few 10-year alu tags that have partly dissolved). I believe it is better to nail or staple the tag to the tree with a wire or cable tie, the tree will then grow over the wire so it should last more or less forever. The main problem I have had using the plastic cable ties is they occasionally crack when I staple them to the tree. Also its hard to staple them onto a really small tree. Other than that they are all staying on well.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: tree tags discussion

• windfall_rob
    11 years ago

I used to do like frank and just trust my memory...with results about the same as his....

I like sketches/diagrams for the main plants/trees. Years ago I took a couple of sunny days to create a sun map of the property showing when the sun comes and goes all over. It helps decide where to plant and I just make note on the map.

For grafts I am with Marknmt, cut up beer cans and electric fence wire. I just put up 15 or so last night. I have been told in windy locations they will flutter, wear through the thin aluminum, and blow away. Has not been a problem here.

• planatus
    11 years ago

Yes, yes, you must write it down, and put a copy with your deed. This is important information about your property.

• camp10
    11 years ago

I created a diagram using Sketchup.

I also use the metal tags for trees and wooden stakes for berries. As mentioned, neither of those is long-lasting.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott, The link you posted was the one I was trying to find. Thank you. I'll do some serious labeling and also make a map.

• copingwithclay
    11 years ago

The online tag -selling companies offer 1-1/4", round,eyeholed, aluminum tags that are thick enough to engrave on both sides with a Dremmel tool, and they may sell for 100/$40 or so. Buying an assortment of colored, vinyl, 1/2" - 1" wide tape can work to color-code plants temporarily. Wrap a ring around a branch with one end of the tape strip's sticky surface adhering to the other end of the tape strip's sticky surface. Write down which colors represent which plants. The vinyl stretches well, and the adhesive stuck to itself sticks well. Just don't lose the Rosetta Stone tablet with the color codes....

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

I have a friend that uses a Dymo Label maker, so I got one to try out. The tape can either be aluminum or stainless, and can be secured with alum. or stainless wire. The machine can even punch a hole in the end of the metal tape label.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Lol Glen Russel! Please tell me you have daughters? Anyways, I cant deny that is a neat idea. Its almost too trendy though...lol Next thing you know our fruit trees will be wearing friendship bracelets! Beads on trees. What next?

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Benny, I looked up those Dymo metal tape labelers. They look real nice, too bad they are expensive. One of those plus a wire or cable tie nailed or stapled to the tree would be a very nice way to make permanent labels.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Dymo embossing metal tapewriter

• glenn_russell
    11 years ago

Hi Blaze-
    Yep, 2 young daughters. We were originally worried about photo-degradation of the beads, but they still look like the day I made 'em. Me, trendy? That would be a first! -Glenn

• macmanmatty2
    11 years ago

I use the pawpapw everlast labels style f the tall rose marker. Then I use a p touch label maker with 1" tape to create a periminate label. People claim that these will last 20+ years so far mine are 2 years old and doing fine.

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

I use a hand written diagram that is transferred to computers. I also hang painted gourds. A couple years ago I grew way too many gourds. Not knowing what to do w/22 extra bushels, I took to making birdhouses, toadhouses, etc. I give them a couple coats of tractor paint and write the tree's name on them and hang them. I must admit they look pretty amusing--especially in winter.

• hungryfrozencanuck
    8 years ago

My main method is an overhead bing/google earth satellite image. I put that in an image program and label all my trees on that. Every new plant gets added. I also keep an Excel file with all trees, date planted, where purchased, flowering time, fruit ripening and include first/last frost data. For grafts I have used Lee Valley copper tags I got on sale. Not as cheap as aluminum flashing but I find it is nicer to look at.http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10459&cat=2,43319,33281&ap=1

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Get some metal stamp tags and a metal stamping kit. You hammer the letters into the tag, then twist the tag onto the tree with metal wire. These will last for many decades. Generations down the road, the new homeowners will be enjoying the old fruit tree and may likely be wondering what variety it is.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good to have labels on the tree for a quick glance, also good for
    your kids and friends visiting / picking fruits. Also good when cutting scions. Those Leevalley labels would be too small for me, I want them large so you can read from a distance!

Fast
    and easy is a must for me,..stamping would make it too slow, I can
    write larger, [or smaller] and faster right out by the tree free hand with
    a cordless engraver. I just take a bunch of cut labels and wires out to
    the garden. Double up the wire holes, so labels don't spin in the wind
    and facing always to you for the ease of reading.