Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flamin Fury PF-24C coldhardy peach

Posted by toddfiala 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 0:39

I am thinking about planting a Flamin Fury PF-24C coldhardy peach tree next spring and was wondering if anyone has had any experience they would like to share about this tree, such as fruit quality, ripening dates, and production reliability. How does it compare to Reliance? We had some temperature fluctuations this spring, with some really cold days in April here in southeast Nebraska. My Reliance did not bloom as well as last year and it looks like there will be no need for thinning. Other peach trees I have are Belle of Georgia, which did not bloom at all this year, and my Flat Wonderful had only a light scattering of blossoms, but it did not set much fruit last year either. I am interested in the PF-24C because I have read about it being a reliable cropper, but my only source of information has been nursery websites that sell this tree and Paul Friday's website, which, of course, will give it a good review. I am hoping to get an unbiased opinion from real-life experience with this tree.

Todd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flamin Fury PF-24C coldhardy peach

I have not grown it but the local orchards do. It is a great peach. You will like it much better than your Relaince. As far as reliability, the commercial orchards would not have it if it weren't/
RED

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 14:32

Todd,

I can't say from personal experience but there is a Nafexer who has a commercial orchard up near Chicago. He says 24c has been the only reliable cultivar that has cropped for him the last few years. It has had crops when all other "cold hardy" peaches have frozen out.

In terms of quality, I doubt Paul Friday would release a peach that wasn't better quality than Reliance.

o

Thanks for the input. I am getting convinced that this is a peach tree I need to add to my yard. Does anyone know who might be able to ship it this year? I will order it immediately, and maybe one for my parents as well if I can. If not, maybe I will have to wait until next spring.

Todd

o

I too am very interested in the Flamin Fury cold hardy peach, I have found it available on Grandpa's Orchard web page. Wondering if they are a good source. I've had really good luck with my Contender peach producing here in Wisconsin, even after several frosts on the bloom. Now looking to get another variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grandpa's Orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here