Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlwahl

Plum won't set fruit

tlwahl
11 years ago

Several years ago I had an Italian plum (probably Stanley, but don't know for sure) that was self-fertile and produced good plum crops about 2 years in 5. Before moving I saved some seeds and managed to start a new tree from seed. Growing on its own root, this new tree is now about 10 years old and 6-7 ft tall. This year it bloomed profusely for the first time and appeared to set fruit. Small plums about 1 mm diameter were all over the tree. I watched these closely and after about a week (plums approaching 2 mm diam.) plums started dropping off. I think they are all gone now. I don't think they froze, but we did have one morning when we reached 32 for about an hour.

I'm wondering if my experiment in growing this tree from seed is a failure. Was the seed I planted able to produce a tree, but not one that can itself produce fruit? I'll give this tree another chance next year, but if it keeps doing this I'll eventually give up on it. I am going to plant a gage plum nearby this spring to serve as an additional pollinator.

Comments (4)