Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pear ,Apple, Stone Fruit, Zone or Chill Hours

Posted by CaptainInsano 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 0:59

I have heard it said that chill hours and zone requirements can be slightly over looked on apples, and to stick to them on stone fruit, but what about pears? I am in zone 9b in Arizona and would like to try pears, I have Asian pears but would like to try the commonly found Bartlett, Anjou or Bosc pears but the highest rating for them is zone 8, is it ok to fudge when it comes to pears?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pear ,Apple, Stone Fruit, Zone or Chill Hours

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 12:43

I've never heard one way or another on the higher chilling pears in a low chill area. That makes me think you'd be way safer with things like Flordahome and Hood.

We are quite a bit cooler than you here, about 700-800 hrs below 45F. But it's the same type weather as much of AZ, mild days and cold nights in winter. Bosc and Comice took about 6-8 years to start bearing. The trees grow fine without the symptoms of lack of chilling that most apples show here.

o
RE: Pear ,Apple, Stone Fruit, Zone or Chill Hours

• Posted by AJBB 9b (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 15:36

The handful of people that I know in Phoenix that have tried haven't been very successful. Despite 4 to 5 years on OHxF87, only one individual has been able to grow a handful of very small pears. In general, only select Asians and Asian hybrids (Kieffer), tend to produce in the Valley. Most of the time, with the exception of Kieffer, pears fail to size up, likely due to the heat. Out in the colder areas of Maricopa County (Wickenberg and north, around Yarnell), you can grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: George Delange's Pear Orchard in Yarnell, AZ

This post was edited by AJBB on Tue, May 21, 13 at 15:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here