Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the15thwiseone

Growing unusual varieties of strawberries is fun!

the15thwiseone
11 years ago

I ordered several different types of strawberries that are unusual!

One such type is Merlan which is a pink flower clumping variety! I already had one of the large berries! pretty sweet and dark red!.

Another is a ornamental variety with dark red flowers which produces small bitter tasting berries, don't know the type but it could be related to pink panda.

I also purchased 2 different pine berry varieties. White D from burpee (pretty pricey at 9.99 a plant) and White Pine (less pricey and much larger plants than the White D variety from mike at the strawberry store). So far the White D are doing rather well in a mix of sweet peat with Garden potting soil. Very sandy and rich! The one berry on my White D plant looks almost exactly like the ones on the pictures only more white! Very excited to nab up some runners and start seeing berries in the pounds!

I also bought from burpee one Purple Wonder, then they sold out just after that! Couldn't get another one, however it is probably the biggest strawberry plant I own with several large healthy leaves and producing more! Doing great in a small half foot pot!

Anyone else try any other unique varieties? perhaps for trade? Thanks!

Comments (6)