Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Tartarian tree... Dead or adjusting???

Posted by docmattman 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 1:12

I purchased a Black Tartarian tree about 3 weeks ago from a local nursery. It wasn't in great shape, but it was the last one they had (it has a warranty, so if it dies, I can return it). It has 4 main branches and only one has leaves. The one with leaves seem like they are slowly browning and dying off. One thing I noticed is there there are some buds that are leaving near the ground just above the graft. Can anyone tell if this is normal for the tree adjusting from shock or if the tree is dying from these pics?

Full Tree

Branch 1

Branch 2

Branch 3

Branch 4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Tartarian tree... Dead or adjusting???

The top is a goner. Hopefully it will sprout from above the graft. I assume the tree was potted? It may have been a recently potted bare-root (a common practice in retail nurseries unfortunately) which had not adapted to the pot yet so it was on the edge before you planted it.

Scott

o

Yea, it was potted at the nursery. I knew it didn't look good from the start, but it was the last one they had and it had a warranty so I figured I might as well try.

o

Next time you get one of those on the edge potted plants keep it in the pot until fall, that will up the odds a bit.

Scott

o

I dunno, I've got my zombie cherry tree that makes me think twice before calling any tree dead.

The year I got it and put it in the ground, it stayed sort of sickly looking and then apparently died in mid/late-summer. And I mean it looked dead. All the leaves fell off, bare dry branches while the other cherry tree was doing great, I wrote it off as dead. Was too busy to pull it though, and it was around on the side of the house anyway so I just left it. Then all winter long I procrastinated because it was cold out.

The next spring it leafed out just as pretty as you please and is now my best growing cherry. It went from surely dead in the middle of the season to alive and thriving the next year. Thats why I call it my zombie cherry tree.

So I guess your options are to take it back to get your money back, or leave it in the ground until next year to be 100% that it really is dead.

o

Edy, cherries are short-season plants and they often drop leaves in August in long-season climates like ours, since they basically had as many months of growth as they are used to. That is what our trees have done; this is a different case. Once the wood has no green under the bark its dead.

Scott

o

"Next time you get one of those on the edge potted plants keep it in the pot until fall, that will up the odds a bit."

Is this better than planting it with the same dirt as it came in? Basically I dug a much bigger hole than the pot, then pulled the tree out of the pot with all the same dirt and put the whole thing into the hole. You're saying I should leave it in the pot even if I keep the same dirt it came in?

o

Yes, the problem is its just starting to adapt to its new spot and is not yet ready for a different soil system. Even with the same dirt the roots will get disturbed by the movement and also the in-ground spot will have different dirt around the tree which will affect it. If the pot was biodegradable and you just plopped the whole thing in then it would disturb it less - thats one reason why burlap balled trees are common in nurseries. How much difference does keeping it in the pot make? It depends a lot on the tree condition and how the tree is sitting in the pot.

One other concern for new plants later in the spring like this is you often need to shield them from the sun for a few weeks, they may have gotten a lot less sun at the nursery. I don't know what your weather has been like but one really hot day can do in a recent arrival. I lost a big potted cherry once that way, even before I planted it I fried it.

I just got a new potted cherry today to replace a dead tree. This tree was raised from when it was young in the pot so I am going to let it sit for awhile until it looks all healthy and then will transplant it in a cool spell. If a hot day shows up too soon I will erect a shade barrier. I had to shade a potted mulberry I put in the ground a few weeks ago; now its doing great.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott! Lots of good information there. Since one of the four branches has leaves on this tree, do you think it would help "revive" the tree if I pruned off the three branches without any leaves? Or do you think it's a goner either way?

Also, I noticed today that there are two new small groups of leaves growing at the base of the tree just above the graft. If the tree is a goner, do you think it would be worth it to try to take those and bud them onto my Bing tree (which is doing well)? I'm not sure if it's the best time for budding/grafting, but if the tree is basically dead, should I give this a shot or would it just be damaging to the Bing tree?

o

Doc, if there is something growing above the graft let it grow. You will have a new whip by the end of the year. Since the tree will get well-established as it grows back, you will be better off than waiting next year to buy a new tree. The roots are not dead, the problem is they didn't have the immediate energy needed to feed all the growing leaves on the top and so they gave up and stopped feeding it. With a good sprout from the base the tree will grow back strongly.

It doesn't really matter what you do with the dead wood.

Scott

o

Here are a couple pictures of the new growth at the bottom of the tree. Do they look promising?

o

Excellent. The one coming out of the ground is rootstock, pull that up. The rest are good. You could either just keep one of the ones left, or let it grow out as a bush.

Scott

o

Great, thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I'll stick with this tree instead of returning it for another as long as the new growth does well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here