Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Currant vigor

Posted by elight23 z6OR (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 1:18

I have a Ben Lomond growing for its second year in a 15gal container. I planted it deeply and cut it back to about 4" initially (should have cut it to 2"). The first year two buds grew and I got one new shoot from bellow the soil line. This had the plant is very healthy with a nice amount of fruit and gorgeous happy leaves, but it has only sent up one new shoot for a total of four. This is my only edible current, but from what I've read the plant should send up multiple a year. Did I screw everything up by cutting it to 4" instead of 2"? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Currant vigor

I have found that my black currants have grown far slower than my red, pink and white currants. I've never heard of growing currants in a container must be pretty!.

My 'Ben Serak' black currant did not really start sending up new shoots for about two to three years. They are very 'shrub' like now (6 years later) with many stalks. The 'Ben' series of black currants seem to take a bit longer to get a decent crop. I do not think your pruning hurt the shrub. It is establishing its root system. I find my black currants to not like pruning very much. Just my humble opinion. Mrs. g

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here