Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plums, nectarines, peaches that do not double as hockey pucks.

Posted by reyesuela z7a (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 1:41

What I want are suggestions from the plum/peach/nectarine/apricot family that are SWEET, JUICY, and SOFT. A proper plum should be eaten over the sink with super-sweet juice dripping down your chin.

I have not had a proper plum in more than 10 years. :-( All the ones I've had recently have been hard and either bitter or just plain flavorless. I want it to taste like an explosion of plum in the mouth, like what I had off the parking strip plums and my grandparents' house as a kid! I don't care if it starts spoiling five seconds after leaving the tree--I want it to be edible, dang it!

Suggestions? :-P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plums, nectarines, peaches that do not double as hockey pucks

It would help if we knew where you live. Zone doesn't tell everything by any means.

o

It sounds like you remember home-grown plums and recently have only eaten the sorry grocery store version. Any home-grown plum is a taste treat compared to grocery store plums. Hard vs soft doesn't matter so much, its picked when ripe or not that matters. In any case most plums in nursery catalogs are soft. To me the quintessential dripping juice plum is Santa Rosa.

Scott

o

Sorry--midatlantic.

Good to know that the problem is mostly picked unripe versus ripe! THe grocery stores would SOMETIMES carry good plums when I was a kid--now they never do.

o

Satsuma! Burgundy! Hollywood! And the go to Plum of the ages Santa Rosa!! But then again it depends on if you like red plums or yellow? Japanese or Euro? Alot of Euro prunes are pretty tasty but I would say more "spicy"..lol

Start with a Santa Rosa and then keep buying!

o

I've only had home-grown red plums, and since all the grocery store ones are horrid, I can't say! I like strong taste--I actually like tart flavors as long as they aren't bitter and unripe, and please not WATERY.

o

Santa rosa is excellent, you will see red on it when it is ripe. Never saw that until I grew them. Burgundy is awesome and stays on tree like pluots for a while. Methley is so juicy, my wife calls it her tree and does not want me to eat any. Beauty is good but not as good as Santa Rosaas far as I am concerned. I don't buy peaches, nectarines or p,ums for grocery store they just are not the same as home grown. Ate one early nectarine tonight it was so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here