Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flush cut. will the tree die?

Posted by jimmy21 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 1:54

I bought this house last fall and it had an existing peach tree that had never been pruned. I decided to remove some ridiculously low branches. I heard to "remove them where the originate." So that's what I did. Now I know that I need to leave the collar. Did I five this tree a death sentence?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flush cut. will the tree die?

Looks to me like you did leave some collar, especially on the bottom-half of the cut. Might heal slower than it should, and maybe not completely, but I don't think that's going to be any big deal.

o

• Posted by mjmarco Zone 6 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 9:03

The tree will be fine...but is that poison ivy under the tree looks like 3 leaves and a red stem...?

o

That looks like wild strawberry to me.

o

Strawberries, random weeds and some regular ivy. No poison ivy. I know I need to weed the area and put some mulch down but I've got about 1000 projects going on with this new house.

What's the worst that's going to happen with this tree? I feel like the picture makes it look like there is more collar than there is. Is it not as big of a deal because the tree is only a few inches across?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 16:03

All it affects is the time it takes to completely grow over the cut area. It's not serious IMO. We've all made that mistake including me I'm sure. I've never lost a tree to a cut like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here