Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange spots on raspberry leaves

Posted by hotbelgo 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 1:57

Can anyone help me identify what this is on my raspberry leaves and what I should do to stop it?
HB

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseased raspberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange spots on raspberry leaves

Wow, poor red raspberries! It does not look like the lesions are on the stems of the leaves. (So it may not be anthracnose, but it my be raspberry leaf spots.) http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1152.html
Or does this look the same? I found this web site. http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=959
But this site is in the Pacific Northwest area of the United States and you are in Belgium, so this might not be the same as what viruses we have here. All the sites I listed are University extensions for agriculture. Maybe search your local ones University extension.

o

WOW, is right! never have I ever seen anything like it. I hope you are able to put a label on it; and get it taken care of... I really do hope you can get this taken care of.

o

I think thats orange rust best cut off and put right into garbage bag to contain spores. There no control other than remove plants are plant parts. Look around your plants these spores had come from some place near by. But ways I had orange rust come from nurserys on plants. Only had one time so never buy anyhing from that nursery again. Check for orange rust plants weeds have orange rust tall ones 8 foot high is as high as I've seen this plant desease above ground.

o

Rust is an interesting disease. Sometimes it needs a 2nd kind of plant (an alternate host) to survive, sometimes it doesn't.

I wasn't able to locate that sort of info about raspberry rust.

Management involves several things; you're too late for some things this year.

Cultural management
1. destroy any affected refuse
2. cultivate in late fall or early spring to cover fallen leaves, old stubs and more from last year.
3. remove & burn (discard; don't compost)as soon after harvest as possible
4. strip leaves from primocanes before tying them up
and also

Chemical management: either bordeaux or lime-sulfur when the new buds have produced 3/4 inch new growth.

Not easy to manage.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here