Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this plum tree grow here?

Posted by Weylynn Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 2:06

Six weeks ago I planted 4 cherry trees and 3 plum trees. I think the Italian plum trees will do fine where I live in northwest Wash. (Zone 5). I think the Bing and Tartarian cherry trees will do fine too. However, I bought a "Golden Plum" tree on sale ($12) and while researching it found it's also called a Spanish plum and primarily a warm weather plum tree. It's growing well and putting out beautiful bright green leaves. Can I take steps to help it survive the cold winters here, or should I dig it up while still small (5 ft.) and send it to a relative in California? Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this plum tree grow here?

Is your location in eastern Wa,Weylynn?Also,any more info about the Plum will be helpful,like the scientific name.Was it bought in Washington?
I tried to find out more about it online and found a few references,but not sure if they were your tree. Brady

o

I believe that it is illegal to ship stone fruits into California. You should probably check this out before you send anything.

o

I am in northeastern Wash. The tag on the tree says Golden Plum and Ciruelo Dorado. The tree was bought locally at a garden center.

o

Ciruelo Dorado just means golden plum in spanish. It might be possible to find the grower by asking the nursery who their supplier is. That would give us more to go on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum variety

o

The correct name for the tree is Spondias Purpurea. It is also known as a Jacotes or a Hog plum. It belongs in the cashew family and is native to the tropical regions of the Americas. I called the retailer. The supplier is Autumn Days Nursery out of Forest Grove Oregon. To get it through the winter, it may need a shelter.

o

I've read the Golden plum does not handle frost well. We average 2 feet of snow every winter and temperatures average 20-30 degrees. Backyardnature.net has a good article on the Gold plum. I'd keep the tree if feasable. If not I could send it to Arizona, (if legal). The tree was planted 6 weeks ago, is currently thriving, and has beautiful emerald green leaves. It is approx. 5 ft. tall.

o

I'm kind of surprised they are sold there.That plum is tropical and is even iffy in southern Florida.It's definitely an indoor plant during the Winter for most US locations.
They can get big too. Brady

o

Looks like I'll have to try and exchange the Gold plum for something else. Maybe a Rainier cherry, or give it to a park with a greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here