Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this fireblight on Quince?

Posted by armyofda12mnkeys 7A Phila, PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 2:14

Hey all,
Noticed some browning of my quince trees leaves on a few branches. Wasnt sure if it is fireblight or something else. Can anyone identify? I sprayed them with copper fungicide late winter/early spring, thought that could attempt to control fireblight.
Here are some pics to help identify (took them as sun setting so some not focused well, can try to take some better ones tomorrow after work if needed):

Thanks all!,
Ari

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this fireblight on Quince?

Whatever it is, I've got the same thing on my two quinces. Earlier in the year I pruned out branch tips that had obvious fireblight (black, limp). Then I pruned out all the branches that had cedar-quince rust. If this disease requires pruning I may never see fruit on these trees/bushes.

o
RE: is this fireblight on Quince?

I believe this leaf browning is caused by fireblight. Fireblight has many different appearance modes and this is one of them. The reason why I am fairly certain that this is fireblight is it always shows up along with fireblight strikes of the more standard shepherds crook. I should probably be pulling these off but they don't look infectious to me so I usually just leave them.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here