Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle feeding..

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 2:37

A branch I cut from another tree in the hopes to pollinate the Ivanovka plum.

It flowered about 3 or 4 years but only had a handful of plums,..will see if any better.
May 15, 2012

Some unique flower balls I never seen
May 15, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle feeding..

Konrad, my Gracious plum makes balls of flowers like that .. then they all fall off. This year I finally got a couple plums. Clever idea on the bottle feeding!

Scott

o

Very clever indeed! Mrs. G

o

Thank you all!
Been watching today and within about 10 min. all the different bees, from bumbles small mason type bees, wasp and butterflies,... there should be pollen transfer!
The only thing I don't know is, if this branch is a suitable pollen.
I guess time will tell,....if a frost doesn't hit it?

o

Update,...it looks like it was a perfect combination as you see,
the flower ball picture from above has developed into..

From June 11
June 11, 2012

From July 2
July 2, 2012

o

Konrad, only you in the farthest reaches and the coldest winters could have fruit like this! I am in a what I thought was a 'dream' of a zone and I cannot produce fruit like yours. Holy Cow. That is one beautiful cluster! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 18:10

Hmmmmmmmm,I don't see any plum curculio scars.......... looks like you will have to thin those plums by hand! hahahahahahaha. It's a little bonus to live where you do Konrad. Most of us live in warmer areas and along with the warmth we have more pests and disease.Keep posting pics as the fruit progress!

o

Thank you all!
It turns out that this year was the year of plentiful, the mild winter was easy on the trees.

Plums are getting ready now, picture from yesterday.
It looks like a semi freestone, a bit on the dry side but the skin is not as bitter then on most other Japanese plums I have.
I like it better then a soggy plum,.. better for pies!
It took a long time from green to this,..over two month!

This shot would be as above when I showed the flower ball.
Sept. 10, 2012

Sept. 10, 2012

Sept. 10, 2012

o

Yes, they do look freestone.

The pits are my main problem with Euro plums.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 19:17

Konrad, that tree is loaded! That same tree in my yard woukld have fallen victim to plum curculio in the early stages,then as the fruit changed color the birds would start pecking them,and as they began to become aromatic as they reached peak ripeness the raccoons would be climbing and braking branches and "testing" each fruit for best flavor.....A very long story short is that Glenn and his family are left with about 40 plums!You are so lucky Konrad, I am soooo jealous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here