Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Che tree

Posted by yawiney none (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 2:52

Anyone have experience with Che tree from hidden spings or other nurseries that do mail order? I'm in the North bay, CA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Che tree

I've got a Che from Edible Landscaping. Usually you need two plants for pollination, but Edible Landscaping claims their tree is self fertile. Last year it set quite a few fruit, though it lost most of them before they ripened, but I did get to eat a handful. It seems to take a few years (3-4) before it starts to reliably produce fruit. I am hoping that this year it will provide a decent crop. The fruit is quite tasty.

o

Thanks. yes, self fruitful would be great. Was that handful of fruit the 1st or 2nd year? Did it come bareroot or potted?

o

Experiences - at least here in the eastern US - from a friend who's grown Che for nearly 2 decades, suggests that you don't need two; they will set fruit parthenocarpically. He initially planted both a 'male' and 'female'. Something happened and the 'male' died - but the 'female' continued fruiting unabatedly, so he never replaced the 'male' tree. YMMV over there on the left coast.
Hidden Springs is good; I've also purchased from Edible Landscaping, but it was over 15 years ago - have never heard any complaints about either outfit.

o

I have a tree from Edible landscaping that has been fruiting for at least 6 years. They will send you a containerized plant which I find much easier than dealing with bare root. The berries flavor remind me of watermelon, very sweet and no acidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here