Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many fruits should I allow on a small 'Tam Kam' Persimmon.

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 2:56

My little potted baby appears to finally set fruit, with abandon. It's only about 5 feet tall, and it has over 3 dozen blossoms that appear to have set and are beginning to grow.

Should I just leave them all, or remove some? And, if I need to thin, when? Kaki is completely new to me in this regard.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many fruits should I allow on a small 'Tam Kam' Persimmon

My experience has been that the first time that these fruit most if not all of the fruit will be aborted by the tree. So I would say just leave them on and let the tree decide what to keep.

o

Thanks. This is the third spring it has bloomed, but they always fell off very quickly after the flower died. This year seems different, as only a couple of flowers did that, and most fruits appear to be growing.

o

I have a Tam Kam in the ground, currently about 8 feet tall. It has had crops of 2, 4, 7, and 35 fruits. Each year it has dropped developing fruit until they were an inch or so in size. This year it has more flowers than ever and put on several inches of shoot growth, so as far as I can tell, this variety does not tend to overbear, which would put it into a biennial bearing pattern.

Alex

o

Well, I guess I won't know for a while. I'll just have to watch it, and keep my fingers crossed that at least some go all the way.

o

how is it with Tam Kam hardiness? Do you make winter protection for tree? I would like to grow this variety, but I am wondering if it is enough hardy for my climate with temperatures down to 0 F. i have read positive info about this new korean variety, should be non-astringent and good producer.

o

indicente, my Tam Kam has taken 0 F with no damage.

o

alexander3

thank you for your reply. so Tam Kam is pretty cold hardy and I am going to buy this variety next year. Please, post picture of Tam Kam ripe fruits in the autumn. Just to see size and shape.

o

I posted some pics a couple seasons ago

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of Tam Kam persimmons

o

Amazing pics.And what about taste of fruits,it s the same as by Fuyu PCNA types?Look very attractive and productive...I hope,that plants will be available next spring here..And I want to test cold hardiness later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here