Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a Sherlock Holmes of apple disease (or ?)

Posted by zestfest 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 3:21

Hello, fellow fruit growing fiends:

I have a mystery that has stumped many apple disease experts -- are you the detective that can crack this case?

My apple trees get puckered leaves and pale yellow spots areas. Some of the leaves turn yellow with green veins, which I understand could be a sign of iron chlorosis. Later in the season the leaves get brown spots. I sent the leaves to a local apple disease expert and she said she could not find any signs of fungal spores. The trees also have not bloomed, although they are 6 or 7 years old and have lots of fruit spurs. Local soils tend to be acidic, although my home test kit was inconclusive.

Thanks in advance for reading and for any suggestions. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a Sherlock Holmes of apple disease (or ?)

Here's how the leaves look from a distance.

o
brown spots

Here are the brown spots that develop later in the season.

o
back of leaf with brown spots

Here's a pic of the back of the leaf with the brown spots. Note, I realize the veins in the photo above are yellow, but there are also leaves where they veins are green and the leaves are yellow... I will take a pic of that asap. Thanks again in advance for any ideas.

This post was edited by zestfest on Wed, May 22, 13 at 3:32

o

I would say its a disease, nutritional issues don't make spotting like that. The lower leaves are just dead spots, I don't see signs of any spores on those spots. There is a chance it could be black rot, but it could also be some more obscure disease. I don't think its scab. If you sent the lower type of leaf for diagnosis all the spores could have been dead. The upper leaves look like the active infection eating at the leaf.

A few years ago someone had a similar looking thing and there was no conclusion on the diagnosis. I linked the thread below.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

o

What are you spraying the trees with?

o

Very grateful for the input, thank you. I spray with horticultural oil and lime sulphur before bud break.

o

Have you sprayed since the leaves have come out?

o

Have you sprayed since the leaves have come out?

o

No, I have not. I'm hoping to get a diagnosis first.

o

Is it in the ground or a container?

o

The apples are in the ground. The soil they are in isn't great. It's quite sandy -- it was grass turf that I turned over to make room for the apples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here