Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bludart_gw

Transplanting Blackberry

bludart
10 years ago

I know, you're probably thinking "why does this crazy person, who lives in a place blackberries are considered invasive, want to transplant them?!"

Well.

I'm an out-of-state transplant myself. And an amateur-ish gardener. I rent my current house, and it's been a long-time dream of mine to have a ridiculous assortment of edibles growing.

Lo and behold, there are blackberry canes popping up in the front yard, and I'm wondering about digging those up and moving them to a container. I want to (try) and take a lil blackberry bush with me when I move. Keepin' the bush contained, of course. An experiment, if you will. Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

Trust me, as long as the shoots have some roots, they will grow. Canes which tough the ground will almost always root it seems.

They seem to do ok in large pots, ive never tried it myself until this year, but people in here seem to have done it, using a fairly large pot with a double hoop. You just train the canes around the hoop, and cut the tips when they get too long.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

From our experience down here, they will live in a 5 gallon pot but didn't produce a lot. Have transplanted 3 of those to old cattle trough (~125 gallon) and they are doing much better. Perhaps a 10-15 gallon pot per plant would be a good compromise.

• fireduck
    10 years ago

sounds like some good advice here so far...I recently dug up old bb vines (weak looking and almost dead) and put them in 5 and 15 gal pots. They took off!

• Americanchestnut
    10 years ago

Take a look around NW Washington, the himalayan blackberry is incredibly invasive. I live in the Northeast, if you transplanted some around here, I'd be pretty upset as it can have a very drastic effect on the surrounding ecology. My advice is don't spread anywhere where it isn't already established in the environment. It is not the same plant as any old blackberry.

• skyjs
    10 years ago

Thornless varieties are larger, taste better, and don't stab you if you eat berries, move them, or cut them back. That's what I do, and I also live in the PNW. They wouldn't survive the winters in the NE.
    John S
    PDX OR

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

As an experiment, fine.

Unless your goal is free edible plants only, you would be better off with a named variety planted in the ground.