Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Blackberry

Posted by bludart 7 - WWA (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 3:44

I know, you're probably thinking "why does this crazy person, who lives in a place blackberries are considered invasive, want to transplant them?!"

Well.

I'm an out-of-state transplant myself. And an amateur-ish gardener. I rent my current house, and it's been a long-time dream of mine to have a ridiculous assortment of edibles growing.

Lo and behold, there are blackberry canes popping up in the front yard, and I'm wondering about digging those up and moving them to a container. I want to (try) and take a lil blackberry bush with me when I move. Keepin' the bush contained, of course. An experiment, if you will. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Blackberry

Trust me, as long as the shoots have some roots, they will grow. Canes which tough the ground will almost always root it seems.

They seem to do ok in large pots, ive never tried it myself until this year, but people in here seem to have done it, using a fairly large pot with a double hoop. You just train the canes around the hoop, and cut the tips when they get too long.

o

From our experience down here, they will live in a 5 gallon pot but didn't produce a lot. Have transplanted 3 of those to old cattle trough (~125 gallon) and they are doing much better. Perhaps a 10-15 gallon pot per plant would be a good compromise.

o

sounds like some good advice here so far...I recently dug up old bb vines (weak looking and almost dead) and put them in 5 and 15 gal pots. They took off!

o

Take a look around NW Washington, the himalayan blackberry is incredibly invasive. I live in the Northeast, if you transplanted some around here, I'd be pretty upset as it can have a very drastic effect on the surrounding ecology. My advice is don't spread anywhere where it isn't already established in the environment. It is not the same plant as any old blackberry.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 15:07

Thornless varieties are larger, taste better, and don't stab you if you eat berries, move them, or cut them back. That's what I do, and I also live in the PNW. They wouldn't survive the winters in the NE.
John S
PDX OR

o

As an experiment, fine.

Unless your goal is free edible plants only, you would be better off with a named variety planted in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here