Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariamet_gw

Please help me with raspberry disease

Mariamet
10 years ago

I have a single raspberry plant, but i also grow tomatoes, beet roots, peppers and a blackberry. Recently i noticed damafe to the leaves, you can see it in the picture. What is this and what can i do?

Comments (13)

• Ernie
    10 years ago

That looks less like disease and more like an environmental/cultural problem, perhaps related to water or fertilizer.

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't use ferilizer, perhaps i didn't water it enough the previous days. I really hope this is the case.. Thanks.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

With regard to water and fertilizer, it could be a matter of too much or too little of either or both. I've included a link to Cornell's Berry Diagnostic Tool. It might help you narrow the possibilities...

Here is a link that might be useful: Berry Diagnostic Tool

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Drought - Raspberry leaves may begin to die from drought, but recover upon watering, leaving the edges of leaves brown."
    I couldn't find something else that fits better. There is inside damage too, but i couldn't find any description or picture nearer than that.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Looks more like a leaf blight--do any of your or your neighbor's tomatoes have early blight? Has the weather been more humid than normal lately?

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tomatoes are fine... humidity varies, 30-40% during day and about 60% at night. The new thing is that the new flowers are drying and die! The already pollinated ones are perfect, at least for now.

This post was edited by Mariamet on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 4:12

• spartan-apple
    10 years ago

Anthracnose? Just a thought. I have seen it on oak and
    maples over the years and the foliage always browns out
    like that. I know raspberries can get anthracnose.
    Just a guess however.

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture i hope it helps.. I think it looks like botrytis ( perhaps early stage?).. Is it treatable?

Here is a link that might be useful: raspberry diagnostic

This post was edited by Mariamet on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 13:20

• Ernie
    10 years ago

Are the flowers simply drying up, or do you see actual evidence of fungus? While this could be the result of a pathogen, it could also be a stress response to cultural conditions. It would be helpful if you'd give us a bit more background information. Where are you? What's the recent weather been like? Are the plants in the ground or in a container? Is this a new planting, or have you had them for while? If the latter, have they cropped in previous years? What kind of soil are they in? How much sun do they receive?

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The previous days we had day temperatures between 22 C and 32 C (71-90 F) and night temperatures 17-24 (62-75). I bought it 3 weeks ago from a floral exhibition and left it in the (small) pot it was in. So i have no idea about the soil they used and its age (i presume it's its second year). I have it outdoors in partially shade place with direct sunlight only just before sunset. Every single flower had this necrosis however the fruits and the not yet opened flowers look fine. I have read that botrytis causes a V damage to leaves so i think it fits there too.

This post was edited by Mariamet on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:48

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

It looks like a fungal infection to me. I'm not familiar with botrytis, but I have grown many human fungal pathogens at work, and school. It looks like a fungus for sure. Follow treatment as listed on the site you linked! Thanks for that link! I have about 20 raspberry plants, and it's nice to know of that resource!

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Thanks for those extra details.

A second-year blooming caneberry in a small pot is by definition already stressed and more subject to watering or disease problems.

You may want to try upgrading to a larger pot and prune off all affected areas and then hope for the best.

Plants in exhibitions can be exposed to all variety of pathogens.

• Mariamet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went to a flower shop and they gave me a fungicide powder to spray the plant. I hope it works..

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm