Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My poor crab apple

Posted by julieherb 8, UK (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 4:17

Last September we moved in to a house with a big old crab apple - it produced lots of fruit last year and seemed fine. We recognize that it needs a drastic pruning, but we didn't have time this spring. Now, after flowering, the tips of the branches have gone brown and crispy. Lots of leaves have fallen off and I can't see any fruit setting. I'm not sure if it is wither tip or fireblight or something else. Some photos are below. What should we do? Is it saveable or will it just get worse? Thanks for your help.

P1080254">

P1080252">

P1080250">

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My poor crab apple

Fireblight. Remove all diseased wood, sanitizing your pruners with every snip, and burn it. This was a really bad year for fireblight. In future years you can spray to kill/prevent this.

o

Spray for preventing fireblight? I thought that wasn't possible. What do you spray? Here UC Davis mentions copper, but it also says it won't do anything for fireblight already in the system of the tree.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html

o

Carla-
Sure you can spray AgriStrep for FB. I do.
I also use copper while the tree is still dormant, but agree that you can't use that at this time of year.
-Glenn

o

RHS advice (the OP is in the UK) is that there is no specific chemical control for fireblight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireblight

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here